Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.

when i try to turn my tv on it will not come on. instead the

when i try to turn my tv on it will not come on. instead the red light on the front blinks 3 times and pauses and then blinks 3 times, and so on. SONY KDL 40S2010
Welcome! TV-Tech1 is offline. I'm Dan, a TV repair pro with more than 10 years of experience in consumer electronics troubleshooting and repair. I'd be happy to help!

On the KDL-40S2010, a 3-blink error indicates an abnormal panel voltage. This is a relatively common failure on this TV, and it's caused by one of two things...

* Bad inverters (least probable)
* Bad display panel (most probable)

The inverters will run you about $200 to do it yourself, or $350 or more to have a tech do it. Alternatively, the display panel would be about $1,000 just for the part.

The panel is the most probable cause, in my experience. So this is bad news... I'm sorry to be the bearer!

No matter how you slice it, this isn't going to be cheap. Here's what I would do... I would call Sony directly to complain. As I said, this is a pretty common issue. They probably won't help with parts or labor, but it's worth a shot because I don't think repairing this TV is going to be cost effective.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but I hope this answers your question! If it doesn't, just let me know!

Thanks again for using the site, and for letting me assist you. If you need anything else, now or in the future, be sure to let me know! There are other categories, too... Legal, Medical, etc.

Oh! The site should be sending you a short survey. I'd really appreciate good marks. Thanks in advance!