Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

Mitsubishi dlp 62"-green vertical bands-model #wd62725

Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! I'm Dan, a TV repair pro with more than 10 years of experience in consumer electronics troubleshooting and repair. I'd be happy to help!

Does this only happen if you're watching cable/satellite TV? Or is it the same for your other video sources like the DVD player, video game console, VCR, etc.? If you're not sure, please check and let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

satellite & dvd player both

Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Grab the original Mitsu remote and press MENU. Are the green lines in front of the menu, or behind it? In other words, is the menu totally normal?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have Device Menu & TV Menu--Device Menu does nothing-Tv Menu brings up blue menu screen, no green bands-the menu is normal

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The blue menu screen is normal-now, as my wife just pointed out, there are also a series of closely spaced horizontal black lines that are more pronounced than the green bands-the green bands, by the way are probably 2" wide, green then normal then green then normal, etc.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.

This definitely sounds like a bad digital board, but I'd like to be sure... is there any way you can get me a picture of the bands, so I can see for myself?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just sent you an email with a picture attachment-that's not my tv but it's a good representation of what mine looks like.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Where did you send the picture?

There are 3 ways to get me a picture:

1. Upload directly by clicking the paper clip icon (might be a tree icon) that's on your page.

2. Or, you can upload the picture to a sharing site like www.imgur.com, just be sure to give me a link (aka web address) for the picture.

3. Or, you can email the picture [email protected] and they'll forward it to me, usually within a couple hours.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Sorry about the troubles! I'll let you know as soon as I get your pictures. Might be a few minutes with servers, etc.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your patience. I finally got a hold of your pictures and was able to see the green lines.

Inside your TV, there are two chassis... the electrical, and the optical.

On the WD-62725, vertical green bands like that (with a normal menu) can only be caused by a circuit on the electrical chassis. Since the menu is normal, the optical chassis must be OK.

Here's the thing... there are 5 circuit boards on the electrical chassis, and any of them could cause what we're seeing. Most probable is the terminal PCB, although this has also been caused by the signal PCB.

Here's what I would do, if this was my TV... I would get a hold of some local Mitsubishi servicers to see if they can get you a used or refurbished V26+ electrical chassis. It'll run you a couple hundred dollars, but you'd be getting all the parts in one swoop.

Alternatively, we can really dig into this beast with signal injection and deeper troubleshooting. That would help us narrow down to a particular board. BUT, each individual board would run you nearly as much as the electrical chassis. It's weird like that... better and smarter to get the whole chassis and know you're going to fix it the first time.

Remember... V26+ electrical chassis is what you need.

Or, you can always look into replacing the TV. That's your call, of course, and one I might recommend you consider. This is a 2004 model and has some age on it at this point.

I hope this answers your question. If not, just let me know!

Best,
Experience: USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Thanks again for using the site, and for letting me assist you. If you need anything else, now or in the future, be sure to let me know! There are other categories, too... Legal, Medical, etc.

Oh! The site should be sending you a short survey. I'd really appreciate good marks. Thanks in advance!

Best,