Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

Is it possible to accidently hit a button on my remote that

Customer Question

Is it possible to accidently hit a button on my remote that allows the sound to work but does not show a picture on the screen?
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

Hi! My name is Tim, I am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-If you push the MENU button on the tv itself, does the menu show up on the screen?

-If you look close at the screen in a dark room, do you see a slight glow to the screen?

-How old is the unit?
- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game console, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hit menu button, menu did not appear on screen. There is no slight glow to the screen. I was told the unit is 2 years old but on the back is year 2006.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
OK, is the light on the front of the tv acting normal?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
OK so I am sorry to say David, but there is no button on the remote that can cause have a broken tv here unfortunately.

On your model, this is normally caused by a bad lamp, ballast or power supply. These are the three main things that work to create the light to generate the picture...without one of them working this can happen.

If you have/know how to use a meter and want to repair it yourself, I will be more than happy to help you with the troubleshooting. If not then you would need a tech at this point, the bad news here is this problem generally runs somewhere between $250-400 to repair.

I am sorry to bring bad news David. I wish I had an easier answer for you.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or need any other information at all, if you do please use the reply to expert tab. If this was all the info you needed then please remember to rate me before leaving. Please do not hesitate to ask anything, happy to help in any way I can!