bluextc89
bluextc89, Technician
Experience:  Small Business Owner.

I have a question

I have a question
Category: TV
Expert:  bluextc89 replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for stopping by:

What is your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a Samsung un55c8000 that just keeps clicking whe powered on.

Expert:  bluextc89 replied 1 year ago.
Some necessary notes before we get started...

** This website is not affiliated with any manufacturer, brand or product; nor do we sell parts, components, or devices. If your desire is to contact the manufacturer of your unit - you have navigated to the wrong site.

** Experts of this online community are users just like you (not Employees of the website) who provide verified knowledgeable information, repair tips, and technical assistance as a form of PAID Q & A service.

- We are not in a call center or "beehive collective" waiting to answer questions.
- We work from our own homes, businesses, smartphones, etc.
- We are business owners, technicians, etc. with a (third party verified) work history in the category you have posted your question - who frequent the site in our spare time to help answer questions other users (like you) have posed - in exchange for a percentage of the value of the question as compensation.

** Any monies or good faith deposits you have placed in your account, to this point, have not been distributed.
- They are only paid out to experts once you have been satisfied with a response to your request for help.

** Should you leave the site without rating - Just Answer distributes 0% (ZERO) to the expert sharing their time and expertise with you today. Even if you have "paid for your session" - it does not get distributed to the experts without a OK, GOOD, or EXCELLENT rating.

** Your question details and responses to additional information requests are our eyes and ears to the problem. The better your details, the better we can "see" what is going on. Take your time and be as detailed as possible. There is no time limit, and you may return to the thread at any time to clarify & continue (etc) - EVEN AFTER RATING OUR SESSION.

** RATING my service to you does not close the thread. It simply insures the deposit is distributed fairly in exchange for the service I am providing.

** In most cases - troubleshooting is a multi-step process that will require more than one back-and-forth interaction. Sometimes "life happens" and responses aren't immediate - however I am notified of your replies, and respond as soon as I possibly can.

** Please refrain from rating our session until your questions have been satisfied, and remember - you are rating my SERVICE - not the reliability/dependability/quality of the item or manufacturer in question.

All that said, please reply with the following information:

Are there any solid or flashing indicator lights on the front of the set?
If YES - What color?
If flashing - is there a set pattern, or number, of blinks between slight pauses?

Finally - do you have experience repairing TVs and testing live circuits, or are you looking for a diagnostic and repair estimate?

Thanks!!

NOTE: Researching answers, complexity of the problem, and customer Volume (real and virtual) can all extend your answer time. The questions asked above are very important for me to have a better understanding of what you are seeing... and potential problems with your TV. Please allow some time to review service and reference materials and to type out a reply once you have submitted answers to all of the information requested above
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes the Samsung light flashes on and off

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello???

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If I don't here from anyone shortly, I will assume this is a scam and alert my credit card company,

Expert:  bluextc89 replied 1 year ago.
This chassis has a high failure rate of the capacitors on the power supply that cause this very problem.

Samsung is aware of the problem, however have not acted on it.

They mounted the capacitors horizontally on this board - and glued then together - so air does not circulate around them to keep them cool.

This is usually always a Power Supply or a short in the System that causes the Relay to click continuously trying to power the set back up. I see that this is a 55" LED TV. Is this Samsung still under warranty?

If it is, we can't continue forward as it will void the warranty. This is hardware related and being a 55 in, Samsung will have a tech come out to your house and perform the repairs for you.

If it is not under warranty (and may not be anyway since you have already removed the back) the first thing to look at is to check for puffy and/or leaking Capacitors on the Power Supply.

This is a clear indicator of heat stress, and you have 2 options.

Replace the board with a used one (ShopJimmy.com or eBay are good sources) - or take the board in and have the capacitors replaced with better quality/higher rated ones to a void future failure.

In either case - expect to pay about $130 to get it back in running order.

Be sure to match board numbers if you decide to order a replacement yourself. There are more than one version of the board used in this model.

If you have additional - Just Ask.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That's it, no troubleshooting or anything?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not happy with answer, No troubleshooting was performed to determine board was bad like voltage testing etc...

Please refund money.

Expert:  bluextc89 replied 1 year ago.

There is nothing to troubleshoot - you have described a common problem.

If you have an oscilloscope - you could check the capacitors in-circuit. Most poeple coming here for help do not.

About all you can do is visually confirm the capacitors are to blame - other than that - the "fix" is what I have described above.

Here is where you should be looking - for swollen or expanded domes on these capacitors....

graphic

bluextc89, Technician
Experience: Small Business Owner.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There are no swollen caps!!! I knew Samsung had cap issues before paying for your service. I didn't need to pay for that... Since you cant offer anymore assistance and I am knot happy with the troubleshooting please refund my money...

Expert:  bluextc89 replied 1 year ago.

Perhaps it would be better if you tell ME where you would like to check for voltages?

You came here looking for help - but are declining the advice being given to you.

The "clicking" indicates the power-on relay turning on and off rapidly.... and it is the FIRST thing in the power line of progression.

This indicates there is a voltage anomolie the TV is experiencing, and it is not starting up because it cannot attain the standby voltage.

All of this action take place on the same power supply board.

Expert:  bluextc89 replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, experts do not have account or payment access - you'll need to contact customer support to process your refund request.

Thanks for the opportunity.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Isnt there a p-on voltage check that goes to the motherboard??? Why could it not be the Main Board causing the relay to click?

Expert:  Anthony F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello Please BE aware
This is tech information service. you are paying for the benefit of my real world experience and can save you time and Umoney
Uplug the mother board from the power board
plug in the tv
does the backight light up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will have to check when I get home tonight... Just as an FYI, I do have a scope and knowledge to replace components on the Power Board or Main board. I have a hardware background..

Expert:  Anthony F. replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So I unplugged both connectors from the power supply board to the main board and I get no back light OR Samsung light at the bottom of the TV. (and no clicking) When I plug them both in, I get the clicking noise and no Samsung light.

Expert:  Anthony F. replied 1 year ago.
unplug the LVDS cable from the main board to the LCD display
still clicking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So you want all cables disconnected from the main board and not just the 2?

Expert:  Anthony F. replied 1 year ago.
NO
Connect everything back up and remove only the LVDS cable to the panal from the MAIN BD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not sure what cable is the LVDS cable.. Do you have a pic?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I believe I found it, its the flat black ribbon cable... If so, I disconnected it and I now get the Samsung logo lit and when I power on, I get the chime and a backlight.

Expert:  Anthony F. replied 1 year ago.

Thats what I was afraid of
now we take it one step further
that cable goes to the tcon board
you just isolated the tcon and the panal
now we need to see if its the panal
then we can throw the tv away
without spending a dime on it (other than your tech advice)

The tcon has one flat cable in
and 2 or 4 out to the display
disconect the cables that go to the display from the tcon (Under the METAL shield)
plug the cable back in you just pulled
do we return to clicking?
i sure hope so
if not
the LCD PANAL is at fault its the last part in the chain and its dead shorted
tv is toast
if it does click then the TCON is bad and easily replacable
in my expereince its mostly the panal
good luck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So I plugged the cable back in and I am watching TV again.. It now works.. I took some voltage readings as well..

So a little background on my TV. About 2 months ago it would power off and then back on… Then it got worse and 5 weeks ago all it would do is click. I called someone out to fix it and he replaced the Main board (I was here when he did it) and it DID NOT fix it.. It still clicked when he put the new main board in.. He then put my Main board back in and ordered a Power supply board.. I was here when he put in the new power supply board as well.. It fixed it… 1.5 weeks later it started clicking again.. I called them and told them it was broken again and they told me it was my panel (without even coming out again).. I told them it was probably a bad new Power board since it did work flawless for 1.5 weeks (I don’t know if it was a new or “refurbished power supply board“) They said it was my panel and sent me my money back since they did not fix it.. This brings us up to today..

If it was my panel, would that be intermittent since it now works?

Expert:  Anthony F. replied 1 year ago.
I have never seen the panal be intermittent for clicking issue
it usually a hard failure
I have had MAIN boards do it
and I have had power boards do it
I have to think at some point they may have fixed it
but did not check to see if the ribbon LVDS was properly seated
if the problem neve returns this is what it was
if it does return its the main board
but they ususally fail again with in a few hours
or less
Expert:  Anthony F. replied 1 year ago.
the tcon is also a possibility
but again usually a hard failure
if it clicks again this is the first thing to disconnect
if it stops you know where to go
if it keeps clicking replace the main board
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

TV has been fine for 2 weeks and started clicking again today. When I unplug it and plug it back on, I get the orange power light on bottom right and when I turn it on, the power light goes off and the Samsung light does not come on and then the click of death..

Thoughts?

Expert:  Anthony F. replied 1 year ago.
Replace the Main board
wuth the jacks on it