TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

I have a KDL 46WL140. Im having a problem with internet content strea

Customer Question

I have a KDL 46WL140. I'm having a problem with internet content streaming very small screen size...particularly with Netflix. Regular Direct TV scales screen size fine. My TV is connected to modem with ethernet cable so no wireless problem.
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm TV Tech1 and I'll be working with you to identify and help you resolve your problem.

I had a customer that had that same problem before.

I think we had to reset the TV set to get that problem resolved.

To do that, get your Sony TV remote out. Sit down close to the TV set so you can touch the TV's power button. Press the volume button on your remote control and make sure the TV responds to the volume button. Once you see it appear, you know your TV set can read the remote control and you're close enough to press the power button.

Now...here's the Reset sequence.

Find the UP arrow you use on your remote control to navigate UP in your TV menues.

With the TV turned on, Press and HOLD it, then Press and release the Power on/off button on your TV set, not the remote.

The TV should shut off, and then turn itself back on.

That's the reset.

Now, you may have to access your network settings, and have to set the TV back up to communicate with your router to re-establish your network connection. You may need to also reconnect to Netflix with the username and password XXXXX

I don't expect you'll have to do the Reactivation sequence using both your TV and computer to generate a new activation code on the TV, but if you do, then perform the Deactivate devices and Reactivate Devices from your computer with the TV accessing Netflix.

That whole process I just listed should restore the screen size on your TV set with Netflix.

Give that a try. Reply back to me when you're finished.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Reset TV. Didn't have to reconnect to router or Netflix. Procedure failed to solve problem. Tried several different Netflix programs.

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

Ok, is this what you see on your TV screen? The picture has sidebars that are black?

http://imgur.com/otLvgWJ

If so, that would be Netflix settings are set at 480 instead of 1080, and your Netflix connection is delivering it to your TV set.

I don't think the Good, Better, Best setting in video Quality setting on Netflix affects the type of video you get....but off the top of my head that's the first thing I'd want to check.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Reset Netflix signal quality to best. No change in screen size problem on Netflix.

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

Let's take a closer look at Netflix.

Your Netflix startup screen

Your list of shows and movies, your recently watch programs

Then the show/movie itself.

All are different pictures.

List the ones that are fullscreen or cover your TV screen.

Also, find your TV remote's Information button because when you press that, it should tell you the actual resolution your source is delivering to your TV.

You said your TV is normal with Direct TV, but are you using their access portal for Netflix?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nevermind. Solved the problem myself.

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.
What did you find causing your problem? Netflix? Your TV? Or Direct TV settings?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

While watching the Netflix show press the up button on TV remote. That simple.

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.
Ok, that's the aspect ratio setting for internet connections. Thanks.