Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.

Hi there, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have a samsung HLT5075 SX/XAA

Hi there, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have a samsung HLT5075 SX/XAA DLP TV, I started getting the white spot issue that got to the point of "can't take it anymore" and I replaced the DMD chip with a new Samsung part- 4719-001981. I was very careful in paint marking everything for alignment during removal but now my screen is off in the frame by about 1/2"-from the bottom and the whole right side as well. Is there an adjustment i can perform?
Category: TV
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi Seth,
I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question.

A very slight movement in the position of the DMD board can have a large affect on the position of the screen display.
To adjust the alignment, try loosening and shifting the DMD board very slightly.
Slightly loosen the DMD board screws, then slightly adjust it:
If the display is too high, move the DMD board up.
If the display is too low, move the DMD board down.
If the display is too far to the left, move the DMD board to the left.
If the display is too far to the right, move the DMD board to the right.
If the display is tilted clockwise, twist the DMD board clockwise.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Different expert here. I'm Dan, and I'd like to add to the answer you received earlier.

* First... you'll need to fix the blue safety switch with tape to the set can be turned on after removing the lower rear cover.
graphic

* Second... you'll need to get the DMD fan out of the way. This is done by removing a single screw and pivoting it away from the DMD board.
graphic

* Now look at the DMD board and its case (with the holes in it). DO NOT loosen the screws holding the chip's heat sink in place! Look closely and you'll see 3 screw covers... those pop out to expose the adjustment screws.

* On the adjustment screws... loosen them just slightly... just enough to get the DMD board to move. Removing them completely isn't a big deal (the board isn't going to separate) but it's best to just loosen them a little.
graphic

* From here, it's easiest to put the TV in service mode to display the crosshatch pattern... that's the best way to ensure it's lined up properly (as opposed to just using a broadcast cable picture). To do that, and with the TV powered off (in STAND BY mode), press: MUTE...1...8...2...POWER (on the remote, not the TV). Then select DDP3021 and use the up/down arrows to move to TEST PATTERN, then press ENTER and use the right arrow until you see the crosshatch pattern.

* Now have a friend stand in front of the TV to tell you which way the DMD needs to go. It works best if you hold the UPPER CORNERS of the DMD board.

* And like Pete said, above... the movement of the board and the picture are OPPOSITE each other.

* Now, when adjustment is done... FIRST tighten the two screws on the LEFT of the board, then slowly tighten the one screw on the bottom right.

* FOCUS might be off when you're done. If it is, LET ME KNOW and I'll walk you through the fix. OK?

I hope this helps! If it doesn't, just tell me.

Best,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
The dmd chip is just that - a chip with pins that cannot be out of place. It either fits in place or it does not, the board it goes into is not adjustable as it is cut to fit into the stamped metal box and there is no room for adjstment-and the board has centering dowels that go from the back forward ( facing out towards the back of the tv for service ) that do not allow any adjustment all the way to the heat sync-and that is the last component on the board. So if the whole assembly is locked into place from the front all the way to the back how am i to adjust anything? I was hoping for an adjustment proceedure-ie-what SPECIFIC screws i would need to adjust. just by his response he does not know the product and an over 4 hr wait for a reply with a generic answer..
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hi Seth,

Did you happen to read through the answer I posted? I think it's very specific. Were you able to see the pictures? They show where the adjustment screws are located.

You're right about the DMD chip... it is just a chip with pins, and it's not adjustable.

BUT the DMD board (where the chip is mounted) is absolutely adjustable... I've done it many, many times.

Let me know if you were able to see my answer and pictures. If you did, I think you'll agree we aren't missing any information here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok your post was exactly what i was looking for-performed the adjsutment in service mode and got the pattern where its the most centered . do i need to exit service mode to adjust? how do you hold / adjust the board with just the screws loose?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Good questions.

Don't exit the service mode. In fact, leave the crosshatch pattern displayed... because the easiest way to do the manual adjustment (moving the DMD board) is to have a friend watching the crosshatch pattern on the screen, while you move the board in the back.

Remember, the DMD board is adjusted best by applying your pressure (upward, sideways, whatever) to the top corners of the DMD case with the holes in it. Like this picture...
graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

great i got the pic back, how do i adjust the focus?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay, I'm just now seeing your focus question. Give me a few minutes and I'll post on how to fix it...
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
OK.

* Standing behind the TV, look at the DMD board.
* Insert your hand (as shown below) into the TV, just to the left of the DMD board.
graphic

* There's a focus alignment dial (again, shown below) that you'll need to turn clockwise or counter-clockwise until the picture is clear.
graphic

And you should be good!

Before you log off tonight, please remember to rate the service you've received. I hope it has been excellent!

Best,
Experience: USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.