Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

Sony Bravia KDL-55EX720. Red light blinks 5 times. Nothing

Customer Question

Sony Bravia KDL-55EX720. Red light blinks 5 times. Nothing on the screen. Thoughts, ideas? I have the back cover off right now. I've read a few different things that it may be, and would like a bit of help rather than basing it all off of similar situations. I'm not a dummy, but not an expert such as yourself. Thank you so very much.

-Nate
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I'm Dan, a TV repair pro with more than 10 years of experience in consumer electronics troubleshooting and repair. I'd be happy to help!

Does the TV turn on at all, before blinking at you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it does not
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

OK, let's see if we can get into the self-diagnostic screen. Reason being... that 5 blink code you're seeing can mean a couple different things... TCON (timing control) failure, HFR (high frame rate) failure, or even a faulty LCD display panel. We need to dig deeper.

So, follow these steps...

1. In standby mode, press the following buttons on the Sony remote:

DISPLAY....5....VOL(-)....TV POWER

2. On the left side are the blink codes. On the right hand side is the error count.

3. Under 005, you'll see three listings... TCON, HFR, and P-ID (panel).

4. What are the error counts for each?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm actually working on this for a friend who has the tv in his restaurant , which where the remote control is. Will a universal work (doubting this)? If not, I should be able to get the remote control shortly.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Not sure if a universal will work. Try and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It didn't work. I just spoke to my friend and I will be able to pick the remote control up tomorrow around 12:00pm eastern time. Can we pick back up then? If so, do I just use the reference code that I was given at the beginning? Thanks for the help so far and sorry for the delay.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
No problem, Nate. Talk to you then.

To get back to this thread, just click the link in the email we sent you... or bookmark this page in your browser before you go.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Awesome, thank you!
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Though I just checked my email and did not see one. Maybe I spelled it wrong. XXX@XXXXXX.XXX. Thanks again.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I can't see your account information or your email. If it's easier, just return to JustAnswer.com tomorrow and log in, then click "My Questions" at the top.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I never actually created an account that I'm aware of. I clicked ask question and then followed the next steps which was to enter my name, tv model and what I'd done. Then I selected the service type, urgent and high detail, then paid the $68 and here we are. No worries though I bookmarked the thread as you suggested.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the remote now and plugged the tv in. I followed the sequence you gave me above...press display then 5 then volume down then power. Nothing happened. The red ligh just blinked 5 times as normal. However when I first plugged it in and tipped it up and used the power button on the remote the tv turned on. I was a little shocked and wanted to see if it would do it again. It did not and now we're back to the blinking red light.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

OK, looks like we're back to where we started... 5 blinks.

Here's the thing... on the AZ2F chassis, 5 blinks can mean all the things I mentioned yesterday... TCON, panel, etc.

The panel is fairly common, unfortunately.

But if this was my TV, I would go ahead and replace the TCON and hope things get better. If not, we're looking at a bad panel. The TCON addresses the panel... it tells the signals "where to go" along the panel. It's the next best thing short of replacing the panel, in other words.

The TCON is labeled in the diagram, below. It might not be replaceable. In other words, it might be integrated with the LCD panel, but you'd need to do some visual inspection to be sure. Sony says not to replace it by itself, but there's not much to lose right now and I've replaced Sony TCONs by themselves a number of times with good results.

So... get the part number from the board itself (it's not listed in the service data because it's not technically replaceable).... and punch what you find, into Google. You should be able to find used/refurb ones for less than $100.

You might consider calling the guys at ShopJimmy.com to see if they can track one down for you.

I hope this helps. If it doesn't, be sure to let me know!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe it is the TCON board also. Last night I tried to remove the TCON board cover and jostled a couple things when I did that. Then this morning the tv came on with picture. I shut it off and laid it back down, then blinking lights. So I don't think it's the panel since the picture came up. Would I have gotten any picture at all if the TCON board were "bad" or is there a possibility of a connection issue with one of the two ribbon bands that go to the panel? You will be rated with excellent service by the way. I couldn't be happier with how much you've helped.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate the kind words, Nate.

>>Would I have gotten any picture at all if the TCON board were "bad" or is there a possibility of a connection issue with one of the two ribbon bands that go to the panel?<<

It really could be any of the above, in my experience. Yes, you could still get a brief picture with a bad TCON and even with a bad panel, surprisingly. I'm leaning toward the TCON just as you are and with these modern TV's and their fancy digital circuits, sometimes that's all we have to go on... experience and "most probable" scenarios.

Best,
Experience: USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again for using the site, and for letting me assist you. If you need anything else, now or in the future, be sure to let me know! There are other categories, too... Legal, Medical, etc.

Oh! The site should be sending you a short survey. I'd really appreciate good marks. Thanks in advance!

Best,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I replaced the TCON. It seemed to be working. Then I went to hang it back up, plugged it in, it came on, then plugged in the hdmi, went to turn it back on and then the dreaded blinking lights again. Main board?

FYI...I have not gotten a survey yet, but would certainly fill it out when received.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Welcome back, Nate.

5x blink again? That's not normally the main board, but it's interesting that it didn't happen until you connected the HDMI.

When you say it "seemed to be working," what exactly do you mean? It turned on and was normal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yep 5x blinks. And yes it turned on and was normal. I thought it was odd too that it all kinda happened when I plugged in the hdmi cable. I plugged another tv in to the same hdmi cable and there were no issues so the cable does not appear to be an issue.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Nate,

Of course the HDMI thing could be coincidental. Hard to say for sure.

The 5x error on this chassis is usually a bad LCD panel... t-con is possible and was the leading possibility in this case.

That's probably the case... the panel... but it's hard to overlook the HDMI thing. Are you planning to put more money into this (e.g., main board)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ordered a main board already. It should be here by the 5th.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
OK, Nate... good plan. I look forward to hearing the results!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I tested at home again. And it came on first time no issues except there is a transparent gray stipe on the left side of the screen. You can see the tv image behind it but changing settings does not affect it.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Yep... main board or panel... tough call. Usually main board on something like that, that you can see through.