Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

I have an old toshiba theatre wide hd television (model # XXXXX)

Customer Question

I have an old toshiba theatre wide hd television (model # XXXXX) which has been performing pefectly. Suddenly I can no longer get power to the set. When I unplug it for a minute, then re plug the cord, I get the red power light coming on for just a second or two with some clicking and other " trying to start up" sounds, then nothing. Furher attempts to powere on (remote and manually) produce no response untill I unplug then re try with exactly the same response. Help!!

Charles in Michigan
Category: TV
Expert:  bluextc89 replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for stopping by:

Since we just had storms in this are - I have to assume this happened during them?

Please reply with the full exact model number from your unit.
Typically - this can be found on the Manufacturer's tag on the back (near the power plug).

Also -

Are there any solid or flashing indicator lights on the front of the set?
If YES - What color?
If flashing - is there a set pattern, or number, of blinks between slight pauses?

Does the picture appear for any length of time, or never?

Do you ever have sound?

Finally - do you have experience repairing TVs and testing live circuits, or are you looking for a diagnostic and repair estimate?

NOTE: Researching answers, complexity of the problem, and customer Volume (real and virtual) can all extend your answer time. The questions asked above are very important for me to have a better understanding of what you are seeing... and potential problems with your TV. Please allow some time to review service and reference materials and to type out a reply once you have submitted answers to all of the information requested above
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This happened about two days ago, not during storm as far as I gan recall. I discovered the problem when I tried to urnon set. The only lite is the red power light that comes on just for a second or two while tv is trying to start up. The picture and or sound never appears. I have only limited testing experience, but many years ago. I am quite handy, but have no testing equipment at present. I really am seeking diagnostic help then I will determine if I can and will do something about the problem. Thanks. I'm on the way out for a while so any further communication for the next two hours could only be text. I will be available after that time.

Expert:  bluextc89 replied 3 years ago.

Ok - thanks for that - i'll opt out of the question in hopes there will be a tech online in a few hours when you return.

When you have a chance - return to the thread and re-post that you are ready to continue - and someone can pick up with you.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Welcome, Charles! I'm Dan, a TV repair pro with more than 10 years of experience in consumer electronics troubleshooting and repair. I'd be happy to help!

Sounds like the TV might be losing it's power supply, but we'll need to discuss this further upon your return. No rush.