bluextc89
bluextc89, Technician
Experience:  Small Business Owner.
22516588

My Magnavox tv appears to be stuck in standby mode. Bought

Customer Question

My Magnavox tv appears to be stuck in standby mode. Bought a week ago, used...but was working great til this morning when it wouldn't turn on. Pllease someone help. They won't refund or exchange!
Category: TV
Expert:  bluextc89 replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for stopping by:

Do you hear any noises while it attempts to power on? Clicks, pops, buzzes, whirrrs?

Are there any solid or flashing indicator lights on the front of the set?
If YES - What color?
If flashing - is there a set pattern, or number, of blinks between slight pauses?

In a dark room - Does the screen "GLOW" black - or is it just "dead"?

Are you able to bring up the On-Board settings menu?
Does the issue affect the settings menu as well - or does it appear normally, with the problem BEHIND the menu?

Finally - do you have experience repairing TVs and testing live circuits, or are you looking for a diagnostic and repair estimate?

Thanks!!

NOTE: Researching answers, complexity of the problem, and customer Volume (real and virtual) can all extend your answer time. The questions asked above are very important for me to have a better understanding of what you are seeing... and potential problems with your TV. Please allow some time to review service and reference materials and to type out a reply once you have submitted answers to all of the information requested above
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No noises.

Solid Red, which is normal. When I press power button on remote, or on the set itself - the light blinks twice, then goes back to solid.

No

There appears to be a very dull "flash" then just "dead".

I have an radio communications background. But I currently don't have any tools easily accessible (voltmeter) and such.

Expert:  bluextc89 replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, without taking voltage measurements on attempted startup - it's a best-guess scenario.

Based on the answers to my questions - it would appear the power supply IS to blame.
Even if the caps "look" ok - it doesn't mean they are. These companies with lower pricepoints keep those prices low by using inferior components that tend to fail prematurely.

A used replacement power supply for your set runs about $60 and is plug-and-play. CLICK HERE to see available ones on shopjimmy.com.

If you have additional - Just Ask.

Thanks!