Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.

I have a Proscan 32LB45Q 32-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV (Black) the

Customer Question

I have a Proscan 32LB45Q 32-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV (Black) the color looks very bad cannot make any adjustment to make it look right, what can be the issue?
Category: TV
Expert:  Jeff the TV Guy replied 1 year ago.

Jeff the TV Guy :

Is this just on Satellite/Cable?\

Jeff the TV Guy :

Try the TV using a Blu-Ray Disc or DVD Player and check the colors then, most times, it looks great which would most likely mean a bad source(cable box, Satellite box).

Jeff the TV Guy :

Please let me know what you find

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did put a dvd in the player and it looks the same

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
I have a Proscan 32LB45Q 32-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV (Black) the color looks very bad cannot make any adjustment to make it look right, what can be the issue.
1) I have already put a DVD in the player looks the same.
2) Changed TV Sat box from another room looks the same.
3) changed HDMI cable looks the same.
4) tried to make changes with the TV menu and will only make a small change.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I'm Dan, a TV repair pro with more than 10 years of experience in consumer electronics troubleshooting and repair. I'd be happy to help!

I will need to see a picture of this. Can you take one and post it here for me to see? Click the paper clip icon to upload.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

trying to clip image but this is not working either. can I text it to you ?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
No text. Sorry. There are 3 ways to get me a picture:

1. Upload directly by clicking the paper clip icon (might be a tree icon) that's on your page.

2. Or, you can upload the picture to a sharing site like www.imgur.com, just be sure to give me a link (aka web address) for the picture.

3. Or, you can email the picture to experts@justanswer.com and they'll forward it to me, usually within a couple hours.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok here is the link http://imgur.com/XRtdFMJ

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
OK, thank you.

That's not something you'll be able to adjust.

More specifically, what you're seeing is caused by a failure of the TV's digital main board, or its timing control board. Sometimes, it's caused by the LVDS cable which connects those two boards.

It's one of those 3 issues. Determining exactly which one it is, will require some more investigation and maybe some internal troubleshooting. If that's something you want to do, just let me know and I'd be happy to help.

Otherwise, now would be the time to call a local TV repair person or maybe consider replacing the TV.

I hope this answers your question! If not, just let me know!

Best,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes if you can guide me that would be great in hopes of getting this resolved.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Sure. No problem.

Grab the original Proscan remote and press MENU. Is the MENU funky looking, too?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes somewhat the colors are off

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Did this happen gradually, or all of a sudden?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

all of a sudden it was ok in the morning then while watching the TV it just happen

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
OK, are you ready and able to go inside the TV? We'll need to remove the TV's rear panel to gain access to its innards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes I am ready

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
The first thing I would do is disconnect the power cord from the wall, and let the TV sit for 5 minutes. Then I would lay the TV face down on a flat surface that has been lined with a blanket.

Then, I would remove the TV's pedestal stand, and also the rear panel (lots of screws... be careful where you put them).

Now I would find the power supply board. It'll be the first large board I would find while tracing the AC power receptacle into the TV. I would have a good close look at the board, paying particularly close attention to the capacitors.

I would look to see if any of them are even slightly puffy on top, like the ones in the picture below (red arrows). A good capacitor will be completely flat on top... almost concave. Any puffiness/convexity at all, I need to know about it.

Note, this is not a picture of your TV... just an example of puffy capacitors.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there is no puff

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
OK, look at the picture below. It's not of your model, but it's close enough for you to get the idea. I labeled the TCON.

See the red box? That's the LVDS cable. The other end of the LVDS does to the digital main board.

Please disconnect the LVDS from both boards. If you have some electrical contact cleaner, you can use it on both boards and both ends of the cable. If you don't have any cleaner, just disconnect and reconnect securely a couple times to make sure it's completely seated.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Then, plug in the power cord and let me know if you have the same funky picture.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry looks the same

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
OK, then I think you're looking at a bad TCON board here. I trust you're familiar now with which board that is. Replace it and you should be OK here. If you can get the LVDS cable with it, do it... as there's a slight chance still that's our issue. They should both be relatively inexpensive. Be sure to get the part number for the board directly from the board itself (could be one of a few different versions... Proscan).

I hope that answers your question. If not, let me know!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

http://imgur.com/HdUUsD8

this is the back of the TV which one is the board ?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Zoom out. I need to see everything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Ah. Well.

Your TCON must be integrated with the LCD panel. Not good news, because that would mean the entire LCD panel would need to be replaced.

Sorry to bear bad news, but I don't think this is going to be cost effective to repair yourself. You might consider replacing the TV here, because the LCD panel would cost far too much to consider.... usually as much as a new TV!

If you'd really adamant about repairing this one, you might consider having the TV looked at by a local pro to see if he can get the TCON out of there, but I wouldn't bet on it.