Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert (field and bench) 9 approved qualifications in TV-ELECTRONICS

I have a SONY tv, model # XXXXX It has a problem whereas

Customer Question

I have a SONY tv, model # XXXXX It has a problem whereas the image we are viewing will freeze on screen. The unit then cannot be turned off by remote and has to be shutoff by holding the power button on the set in for about 10 seconds. Upon restarting the unit it will work again for varying time lengths and then freeze again.
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the Question

I may be a few minutes between each request for info thanks for your patience!

Does it do the same on other inputs please like a dvd for example?

How old is the set please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have not tried it on different inputs. The set is around 18 months old I think.

Hi John

The dvd check is just to eliminate any box you may be using for TV services however because you have to do a hard reset with the TV its likely to be the TV itself namely bad firmware

You should upgrade the system firmware here

Follow the guide very carefully

Let me know if you need more info
Please dont forget to rate the answer.Thank You

The thread will remain open even after rating if you need to ask additional questions

Many Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I followed the guide verbatim. When I go to the "System Updates" menu the response is "Your system is currently up to date" I have it "Check Now" on this screen and it still indicates the firmware is up to date. This did not change anything.

Yes if the firmware is the same then it wont upgrade however that doesnt mean the firmware isnt is, the only solution now is to replace the mainboard (firmware preloaded), what normally happens is the old board is wiped manually and then the firmware re-installed, because of the age of this set I would consider complaining to sony who may help you out

Let me know your thoughts on if you can do work yourself and complaining to sony