Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

Element TV lost sound. Cannot get sound to come back on.

Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.
How long have you had the set for and when did the problem occur?
Also, what is connected to the TV for devices (Cable Box, DVD, Game system, etc.), and do you get NO sound on the TV regardless of which Device you select?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No sound. Connected to only a HD cable box via HDMI cable and red/yellow/white audio cables. We purchased the set used and I have no idea how old it is.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply.

With an HD box, you don't want to use the Red,White and Yellow cables- only the HDMI. So while they're not likely causing the problem, you can simply remove them.

Then you want to try a reboot of the cable box as follows:

Please shut the TV and cable box down. Unplug the Cable box from AC power for one minute. During this time, disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable on both ends, making sure it is secure. Then plug the cable box back in, turn on and let it reboot. Once it's rebooted, then turn on the TV and attempt to watch a program.
The sound should be back on at this point.

Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Right now I am having a signal resent from the cable company. They said the reset process could tak eup to 45 minutes. I removed the audio cables and have only the hdmi cable connecting the tv to the cable box.

I will keep you posted.

Thank you for your help.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome and if them resending the signal does not help, consider the reboot I had mentioned and please reply back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did the reboot you told me to do prior to contacting the cable company. After I rebooted by unplugging the power cable from the back of the cable box, I would not ever get the power indicator light to remain steady. My problem is most likely with the cable box and not the television. We shall see.......

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Yes that does seem to be the case. As a test, you can rule out the TV by playing a DVD connected to it and see if it gives you sound (which I'm confident it will). The cable box power light not remaining steady is not something that can be corrected with the cable company refreshing the signal- as that indicates an internal fault in the box itself. If you need further assistance let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. Service and power have been restored to the cable box and the tv is now picking up the signal. But, still no sound. So I hooked up a DVD player using the s-video connection and the yellow/red/white audio cable to the back of the tv, selected s-cable and got the dvd video to show up, but NO SOUND! Next suggestion?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, this is rare. One of two things would cause THIS. Either the TV's EEPROM (processor) locked up and needs to be rebooted, or the Mainboard's Audio processing in the TV is faulty.

Try a hard reboot of the TV. Disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds. Plug it back in and power it on. If you still have the same problem, then you need a new Mainboard. This is the board that houses all of the AV Inputs on the back of the TV, as well as processes sound, and the amplifier that drives the internal speakers.

In this case you can purchase the Mainboard for your set at the link below and replace it yourself in about 20 minutes with nothing more than a screwdriver:

http://www.shopjimmy.com/element-ti10092-038-main-board-for-eldft551.htm

Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You rock! This worked. Thanks!

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Excellent and I am glad to hear that! Thank you for the words, and if you're satisfied with my service, could you please rate the answer accordingly?