Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Element TV problems. No Sound.

Element TV lost sound. Cannot get sound to come back on.

Category: TV

How long have you had the set for and when did the problem occur?
Also, what is connected to the TV for devices (Cable Box, DVD, Game system, etc.), and do you get NO sound on the TV regardless of which Device you select?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No sound. Connected to only a HD cable box via HDMI cable and red/yellow/white audio cables. We purchased the set used and I have no idea how old it is.

With an HD box, you don't want to use the Red,White and Yellow cables- only the HDMI. So, while they're not likely causing the problem, you can simply remove them.

Then you want to try a reboot of the cable box as follows:

Please shut the TV and cable box down. Unplug the Cable box from AC power for one minute. During this time, disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable on both ends, making sure it is secure. Then plug the cable box back in, turn on and let it reboot. Once it's rebooted, then turn on the TV and attempt to watch a program.
The sound should be back on at this point.

Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Right now, I am having a signal resent from the cable company. They said the reset process could take up to 45 minutes. I removed the audio cables and have only the HDMI cable connecting the TV to the cable box.

I will keep you posted.

Thank you for your help.

You're welcome and if them resending the signal does not help, consider the reboot I had mentioned and please reply back.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did the reboot you told me to do prior to contacting the cable company. After I rebooted by unplugging the power cable from the back of the cable box, I would not ever get the power indicator light to remain steady. My problem is most likely with the cable box and not the television. We shall see.

Yes, that does seem to be the case. As a test, you can rule out the TV by playing a DVD connected to it and see if it gives you sound (which I'm confident it will). The cable box power light not remaining steady is not something that can be corrected with the cable company refreshing the signal- as that indicates an internal fault in the box itself. If you need further assistance let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay. Service and power have been restored to the cable box and the TV is now picking up the signal. But, still no sound. So, I hooked up a DVD player using the s-video connection and the yellow/red/white audio cable to the back of the TV, selected s-cable and got the DVD video to show up, but still no sound. Next suggestion?

Okay, this is rare. One of two things would cause THIS. Either the TV's EEPROM (processor) locked up and needs to be rebooted, or the Mainboard's Audio processing in the TV is faulty.

Try a hard reboot of the TV. Disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds. Plug it back in and power it on. If you still have the same problem, then you need a new Mainboard. This is the board that houses all of the AV Inputs on the back of the TV, as well as processes sound, and the amplifier that drives the internal speakers.

In this case you can purchase the Mainboard for your set at the link below and replace it yourself in about 20 minutes with nothing more than a screwdriver:

http://www.shopjimmy.com/element-ti10092-038-main-board-for-eldft551.htm

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You rock! This worked. Thanks!

Excellent and I am glad to hear that! Thank you for the words.

Element TV troubleshooting

Below is a list of common problems with troubleshooting techniques.

ProblemCauseTroubleshooting
No LED lightThere could be no power to the TV.Check and make sure the TV is plugged into a working outlet.
No red LED lightThis could be because the TV is in standby mode.To get out of standby mode press either the "Power" or "Standby" button located on the remote. 
Blue screenSignal may have been lost, or the TV is not on the correct input source.If the TV is on the incorrect input mode press "Source" on the remote to switch between inputs. 
Snowy, noisy, ghost-like pictureThis could result from losing the antenna signal.When using an antenna try checking the connection first. However, if this does not help, try moving the position.
No sound1) The TV could be on mute.
2) The volume is set too low.
3) Outer leads are not connected if they are being used.
1) Press the "Mute" button on the remote.
2) Go into the "TV Settings" and check the "Volume Settings" to ensure everything is correct.
3) Check all outer leads to make sure they are hooked up properly. 

If the issue persists, follow the next few steps in troubleshooting an Element TV.

Step 1 - Ensure the TV is plugged into a working outlet. However, trying a few different outlets may help. If the remote is the primary use to operate the TV, press the "Power" button located on the front panel of the TV. This may help determine if the issue is with the remote or TV.

Step 2 - To see if the remote is the issue, replace the batteries with new ones. Moving closer to the TV could help if anything is blocking the signal between the remote and TV. 

Step 3 - Remove all DVD, VCR, and gaming consoles that are connected to the TV. Then try re-connecting those to a different input or use different cables.

Step 4 - Check all cables connected to the TV. Audio and video cables become damaged over time especially when used frequently. So, replacing these cables if there are issues with the TV may be beneficial. For a buzzing sound or if distortion is heard from the speakers, check if the audio cable is bad. Buying good quality cables often prove to be helpful and can prevent issues in the future. 

Resetting an Element TV

When troubleshooting an Element TV does not help, often resorting to restarting the TV to its factory settings can help. To reset a TV, locate the “Menu” button on the side of the TV. Hold down this button for 10 - 15 seconds. When the menu screen pops up, enter the time, date, and locations settings. Next, follow the next few steps on the screen and the TV should restore back to factory settings.