Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

I have RCA Model SPS36123 Kitchen LDC TV/DVD Combo. The TV

I have RCA Model SPS36123 Kitchen LDC TV/DVD Combo. The TV is not coming on and I keep seeing an error code. 2V5E or 2U5E What does that mean?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

How long have you had the set for and when did the problem occur?
Additionally, what is connected to the TV for devices (DVD, cable box, etc.), and do you have the same issue regardless of which Device you're watching?
If you press MENU on the TV when the problem is occuring, does the MENU display normally on the full screen?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Had it for about 6 years.
The problem just started happening in the past few days.
It is connected to an ATT U-verse wireless cable box.
Same problem regarless of what it's connected to.
When menu pressed does not display on tv screen. Getting nothing on TV screen.
It happened the other and with constant turning it off and on and changing to TV mode it finally came on.
The display is on the unit is only bright enough to read initially when you turn it on and it displays the time, then DVD, then you change mode to TV you can hardly read it.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the reply.

So, after initially powering on the TV, the screen goes dim, then you can barely see the image?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not the TV screen, there is nothing on it. I'm talking about the display on the unit that shows the time and the mode, etc.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Okay I understand. Please shut the TV off, then disconnect the set from power. Then press and hold the Power Button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds. Plug the set back in and press power once. Let me know if you have the same problem please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok. tried that and thought it might be going to work but still nothing.
we turn the tv on with the remote from the att u-verse unit if that makes a difference. it has always worked that way.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the reply.

The remote is not likely causing the issue, but to rule it out, we need to use the buttons on the TV itself, or the original TV remote. So, let's put the Uverse remote away for now, then use the buttons on the TV itself to turn it on, then press MENU, or Input, or Volume. Let me know if any of these things show up on the TV screen.

Also, as an aside, is the Uverse Box powering up normally, and what does it show on the front of its display?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok. tried that. still nothing.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Okay, what I had asked was if the TV screen shows anything at all?

Also what does the display on your cable box show?

Is the power light on the TV changing as if it was turning on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
TV screen is black.
There is no display on cable box just lights for power, link, hd.
The only power light on the tv is on the display and it is on.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

Okay, unfortunately this indicates a fault in the RCA TV unit, and this is not something that can be corrected via any settings or adjustments. The set would require service to correct the issue. Possible causes are a faulty power supply board, or mainboard in the RCA set.

Average cost for this type of repair will between $100-$200 depending on which circuit has the failure on the set. Given that a new LCD TV would cost you only around $200 for the same sized TV, I would think long and hard before deciding whether or not to repair this set.

I know this is not the answer you'd hoped for, but I see this problem fairly often with these sets.
If you'd like to have the set repaired, you can use the link below to locate a tech in your area:

If you'd like any other type of assistance, or a recommendation for a new set, please let me know and I will be glad to assist you further.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. That's what I figured. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome and sorry for the bad news. If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to ask.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there a way to print off this exchange of messages?
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
I'm not sure how that works on the customer's end- I only answer the questions on here, and do not know any inner workings of the site itself. I would suggest copying and pasting the replies to a Wordfile then printing, or to try printing the page. If not, I can also submit a note to the site Administration to contact you regarding how you could print this dialogue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. Have a good night!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Actually, I have one more question. How do you get on with this site and do you work from home? I have a brother who is very techie and needs work but needs to work from home.