Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.

Samsung led tv has sound and no picture? Any idea as to what

Customer Question

Samsung led tv has sound and no picture? Any idea as to what this could be?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

How long have you had the set for and when did the problem occur?
Additionally, what is connected to the TV for devices (DVD, cable box, etc.), and do you have the same issue regardless of which Device you're watching?
If you press MENU on the TV when the problem is occuring, does the MENU display normally on the full screen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have had the tv for nearly 2 years. The problem started this week. The tv was connected to a reliever and a blue ray player. When I press menu nothing shows up. The screen is black but a dim glow can be seen in the dark.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply.

Did the problem start occuring intermittently this week, and you're now unable to get a picture at all on the set?

Additionally, has the TV ever shut off on you, or become harder to power up when cold?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sir the problem just happened all at once. I have never had problems with the tv powering up or shutting off.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay I understand. If you haven't already tried this, please disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the touch sensitive power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 15 seconds, then plug it back in and press power once. Let me know if you have the same problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just tried it...still no picture
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Please shine a flashlight directly against the screen and look very closely in a darkened room. Let me know if you can barely make out a shadowy image of the program you're trying to watch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sir. No shadowy image
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, the Mainboard, or the Power Supply output to the Mainboard on your set has failed.

They work in tandem to allow the set to turn on, the Power Supply provides the voltages to various circuits in the TV, and the Mainboard contains much of the communication required for the Power Supply to turn on.

The power supply is the board that the AC cord connects to inside the TV. Often times, one or more capacitors on this board fail, and will give you these symptoms. The Mainboard is the board directly mounted to the rear panel of the set, that routes and processes all of the AV signals to the TV. This is a common mode of failure for these sets.

Average cost or this type of repair is around $250-$300 parts and labor. There is no reset or series of buttons you can press to fix this problem, and the set will require service.

If you'd like you can use the link below to locate a tech in your area:

www.tvrepairpros.com

If you need further assistance, or if this is something that you're looking to repair yourself, please let me know and I will be glad to assist you further.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
If you're looking for a link to parts, or would like to isolate the problem further, you'd need a meter and the ability to measure live voltages. I can tell you that right now the issue is down to the two boards mentioned above, and if you're a do it yourself type, you can purchase and plug these boards in yourself. Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you to deserve a good rating for my work here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a meter that should be more than sufficient to check whatever you suggest. Thanks
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

The first thing you would want to check for in the set, are the capacitors visually, making sure none are bulged, swollen or leaking fluid. The Power Supply is the board inside the TV that power cord directly attaches to.
Any that do not appear cylindrical, or are leaking you would take the rating (In uf), and the voltage off the cap (example: 2200 uf, 50 vdc), and cross reference them at the sites below:
http://www.digikey.com/

http://www.mouser.com/

They each solder into place with two leads, a positive and a negative. Make sure you solder the news ones in the same way, or they will explode when the TV is powered up.
Make sure you are careful not to un-solder any other adjacent circuit traces when removing the old caps, and carefully solder in the new ones allowing the solder to flow into the joint. Replace any and ALL caps that are questionable. Remember- when in doubt, change them out.
Try powering up the TV, and if the set operates normally, then you have solved the issue by replacing the faulty cap(s).
If it does not, then you would need to isolate which board is causing the problem by measuring the Power Supply Voltages.
Please only proceed if you have experience measuring live voltages on a circuit board level.
Use a DVM (Digital Volt Meter) set to DC volts, put the Black probe of the Meter on an RCA jack shield on the back of the TV, then use the Red probe and probe all of the Outputs for voltage (correct voltages will be stamped on the power supply at the outputs). Do this with NOTHING connected to the Power supply but AC power, the Mainboard, and the little board that houses the Power Switch. If a voltage is missing/ fluctuating, then the power board needs to be replaced.
If the power supply outputs its rated voltages, then connect the other boards one at a time until one causes it to shut down. This board would have the short causing the supply to SOS, and would need to be replaced.

The Mainboard is located at the link below:

http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-bn94-05549e-main-board-for-un60eh6000fxza-rebuild.htm

The Power Supply is at the following link:

http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-bn44-00500a-power-supply-unit.htm

Between both boards you're looking at around $150 with shipping.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Voltages look great on the outputs. Guessing its the main board. I surely do appreciate your help. You really know your ish!
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply, and the kind words! If you're getting voltages from the power supply, the screen is backlighting, but there's no sound- no MENU images either and no video signals, then this definitely points to a faulty Mainboard and I would replace it at this stage.
Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey bud I had a question the other day about a Samsung that had sound and no picture. I ended up replacing the the power board and the main board. Problem still persisted. I opened the tv up further and found one of the flat cables coming of the (pcim?) board was corroded. When I unplug the corroded cable I get picture on one half of the screen. Cleaned the cable but still have the same problem. Could this have shorted out just one side of the board?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Are you referring to the small board located near the center of the panel that has two ribbon cables connected to it?

If so this would be the T-Con board, which processes the image on the screen, and it is controlled by the Mainboard.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes sir that would be the board I am referring to. One of the ribbon cables had some corrosion where it connects to the display. If I leave it unplugged I get a picture on one half of the screen.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
You either have a faulty T-Con, LVDS cable, or the panel itself is faulty at this point. Is your screen backlighting with this cable connected?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes sir the screen is backlighting with the cable connected. When I connect it the other side does not display. When I disconnect it, the other side displays. I swapped the ribbon cables and have the same results.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
This brings us to either a faulty t con board or a bad LCD panel. What happens if you connect the left side of the board to the right side of the panel, and vise versa? Does the other side of the screen then light up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I connect the right side of the board to the left side of the panel and visa versa I do not get a picture. I did just notice what appears to be an oil like substance on the back of 3 of the chips/processors on the T-con board
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
The oil like substance may be perfectly normal, I have no idea. You're at an impasse as far as determining if you have a failed panel, or a failed T-Con. There's no way to know without the panel being installed in a working set with a good T-Con, or the T-Con being in a working set with a good panel. Seeing as we don't know which has the fault in your TV- we cannot successfully test either one.

I would personally take the gamble and purchase a T-Con as these are inexpensive boards, and the panel is not repairable, nor replaceable (well it is replaceable, but the panels are impossible to find and very very expensive when you can locate them).

I would suggest replacing the T-Con at this stage of the game and crossing our fingers.