Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

Got up this morning and have no audio on tv. Cable connection

Got up this morning and have no audio on tv. Cable connection reboot did nothing to solve. Can hear buzz if increase all volume and it silences when hit mute button on remote. Cable problem or tv?

Hi! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-How old is the unit?
- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game console, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have no other devices, tv only. Bought about 8 years ago from Target so maybe older by manufacture.

Do you have a cable box or does the cable go striaght from the wall to the tv?

Do you have anything else in the house you can hook to it for testing? (dvd, game, etc.)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Cox cable box for both tv with hbo option and have no other devices to hook up.

When you say you did a reboot on the cable, what exactly did you do?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Turned box power button off on the Cox Explorer 3250HD box, then pulled power plug to entire box to electrical outlet

How long did you let it sit?

Did you do this same process to the tv too?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A minute or 2 on cable. Yes, also tv power down and removed plug at wall. How can I check air signal reception for local networks, if it is getting audio to tv. Thinking it is a tv problem. Have friend with extra tv coming by later to try and hook to cable box to see if gets audio. Otherwise looks like close caption for the weekend, hut?

OK so yes, it probably is a tv issue, we need to do a proper EEPROM reset on both the cable box and the tv, it has a chance of working, we wont know till we try it.

Try this first...

Turn the tv on so you have a picture.
While it is on unplug both the tv and the cable box from the wall
Let them sit 5 mins
Plug them back in.

Not saying this will for sure fix your problem, so don't want to get hopes too high. We have however seen this EEPROM reset clear some audio problems in your model, so its the first thing to try. Let me know if anything changes.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

WOW. That worked. 6 hours of silence has ended. Money well spent Tim. Thank you. Billing finale to follow I assume. Any response I can do for your brilliance let me know. Alan

Awesome news Alan! Glad we got it working!

Please let me know if you ever need anything at all, I am happy to help anytime.