Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.

We had a power outage this morning and I can not get my Mitsubishi

Customer Question

We had a power outage this morning and I can not get my Mitsubishi Medallion HD1080P 65" rear projection TV to turn on. The timer light is flashing. I have tried the reset button and held it for 60 seconds. I have held the power button for 10 seconds. I tried unplugging to reset everything. When I power up the cable box and receiver, I get sound, but no picture.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be glad to assist you.

Can you please get me the model number off of the back of the TV - I'm assuming this may be a large rear projection and hard to move, but the model number will help me look up the history of your set.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Model Number WS-65869

Serial Number 114717

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for the reply.

Is the timer light blinking continuously, or in a pattern (such as 3 blinks, pause, 3 blinks, pause, etc.)?

Also, when you press power on the set is there any response from the button (click sound, etc.)?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

It blinks continuously and rapidly. There is no click sound when the power button is pressed.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
Okay I understand.

This problem can occur due to one of two things. Either there's a fault inside the set, or the EEPROM simply needs to be rebooted.

Let's try a hard reboot of the set, by disconnecting it from power, then pressing and holding the power button on the front of the TV itself (not the remote), for 20 seconds. Then plug the set back in and press power once. Let me know if you have the same exact problem please.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I responded as asked, unplugged the set, held the power button on the set for 20 minutes and then plugged back in. The Timer Light is still flashing rapidly.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
I am very sorry for the delay, the site went down and I've been trying to reply for about 10 minutes now.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

You will see I did the last step you suggested and nothing changed.

Rick

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

I did see that Rock and thank you for the reply.

Unfortunately, there isn't a quick fix or this problem, and the TV will require component replacement in order for it to power up normally again.

These sets are known for issues in the power supply- more specifically there are several capacitors that are prone to going out of spec and will cause the set to stay in a bootup sequence with the Timer Light blinking. It is most common whenever you have a storm, power surge, or outage for this problem to occur.

The capacitors on the power supply board will need to be replaced, which is something that you can tackle yourself if you are comfortable performing some basic soldering and reading instructions. There is a kit at the link below that includes all of the parts you need, along with step by step instructions on how to repair the issue yourself:

http://www.tvrepairkits.com/xcart/mitsubishi-ws-65869-blinking-light-repair-kit.html

If this is not something that you're comfortable with, then a technician will typically charge $250 parts and labor for this type of repair. In this case you an use the link below to locate a Tech in your area:

www.tvrepairpros.com

I know this is not the answer you had hoped for, but the set will require these capacitors replaced in order to function normally again.

If you need further assistance let me know and I will be glad to assist you further.

Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Eric,

I did as asked, unplugged set, held power button for 20 seconds, plugged back in and the timer is still flashing rapidly. I could not respond online. Must be a day of gremlins.

Rick

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for the reply, I had sent a post outlining what was wrong with the TV and how to resolve the issue as well. Were you able to see the post above?