Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

I have a Sony Bravia KDL-140VL160 TV and my screen is dark

Customer Question

I have a Sony Bravia KDL-140VL160 TV and my screen is dark and a red light is blinking that indicates STANDBY. My cable box is active but I can't get response from my TV. What is STANDBY, and how do I get out of that mode?
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

Hi! My name is Tim, I am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-The light should be blinking a code, can you determine it for me? (example 6 blinks, pause, 6 blinks pause repeat)
-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The blinks are 14 then repeat.
The age is 3 or 4 years old.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

I am very afraid I have no good news for you.

What you have is a LCD panel that has failed, this is a very common problem with these new LCD televisions and there is no way to fix it. The part price is always more than a new television. For example the part needed to fix your set is over $1600, you can buy a new set for half that price. Unfortunately there are a lot of good folks in your position, they have bought these nice sets, and after 18 months to 4 years the tv is going into the garbage unless they bought an extended warranty on it.

The only bit of advice I can give you if you don't have a warranty is to call Sony and complain to them, a lot of manufactures are working with their customers because these sets are failing so prematurely. A lot of times the manufacture will repair the set, or supply the part at no cost, leaving you with the labor for installation.

I am sorry I have no good news for you, please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please let me know if you have any other questions or need any other information at all, if you do please use the reply to expert tab. If this was all the info you needed then please remember to rate me before leaving. Please do not hesitate to ask anything, happy to help in any way I can!

Thanks,

Tim

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
I just wanted to check and see if you still need help with this?

Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Thanks,
Tim