Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

I have the samsung dlp tv model#HL-T5076S. My screen is filled

I have the samsung dlp tv model#HL-T5076S. My screen is filled with white dots. Is this a re-call item? If not what do I do to repair it.
Thanks,
Mike Newbauer XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.

Hi! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-How big are the dots?
-How old is the unit?
- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game console, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The dots are 1/8" in diameter. They cover the entire screen. About 300 white dots.I bought the T.V. 6/29/07 I have cable and they are present if im watching cable programming and when I watch a DVD and WII games.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Ok so yeah this is pretty common on your tv. What you have is a bad DLP chip, this needs to be replaced to fix the tv.

If you are comfortable working on electronics and think its something you want to try yourself, I can answer any questions you may have, help you find the part and am happy to do anything I can for you. The process involves removing the optical engine from the tv, removing the DMD board, disassembling it, removing the old DLP chip, installing the new dlp chip and then putting everything back together, many screws and wires. Once all back together you must re-align the DMD board too or you will have a crooked picture. Its not rocket science but if you have never done electronic type work before it may not be a DIY project.

The part runs around $180 from most retailers. If you have a tech repair this for you, normally you are looking at another $200 in labor on top of the part.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or need any other information at all, if you do please use the reply to expert tab. If this was all the info you needed then please remember to rate me before leaving. Please do not hesitate to ask anything, happy to help in any way I can!

Thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Tim,

So this is not a re-call item? Would you recommend avoiding the purchase of DLP TV in the future? If so, what type would you recommend purchasing in the 50" to 60" range?

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately no, I have not seen a recall from Samsung. Now sometimes, on any issue, if you call the manufacture (in your case 1-800-Samsung) and complain, they could help you out. Sometimes they will tell you no, sometimes they will pay for the part, sometimes they will pay for part of the repair and sometimes they will repair it. So its always worth a call.

In this case I would mention to them that you know this issue was really common in this model and is a defect in the tv and you would like to know if they would help you out with the repair in any way.

As for a new tv. I would go with a LCD tv any day, no dlp or plasma in my opinion.

Personally Sony is what I would choose, any Sony in that size range would be fine, just depends on your budget. If you want to get up towards 60", then I might recommend Sharp as they might be a little more reasonable in price and still be good quality.

Tim
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Tim,

I did what you suggested, and called Samsung. I gave them the serial # of my TV and they said it is one that is on their list for a completely free repair. I just have to arrange a time for the technician to come out to the house. So thats great news.

Thanks for your help!