Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My Gateway Plasma TV shut off while we were watching and cannot

My Gateway Plasma TV shut off while we were watching and cannot turn it back on. However, the green light is lit indicating the set is on. Who does Gateway TV repairs?

Please respond [email protected]

ESJohnson

Hi! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)
-How old is the unit?
-Is the light on solid or blinking?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think the model no.is: GTW-P42M102

Believe it is 9 or 10 years old

The light is always in the on (green) position -- not blinking. The on/off switch does not work

OK so the green light comes on as soon as you plug it in and the tv does not react at all when you push the power button?

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I believe I have answered all of your questions. Will you please help me.

Thank you.

ESJohnson

OK so the green light comes on as soon as you plug it in and the tv does not react at all when you push the power button? Or does the tv do nothing when you plug it in, the green light comes on when you hit the power button but does nothing further?

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You guessed correctly. Please help me!

ESJohnson

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That is correct. Do you know what I can do? So far you haven't given me any advice.

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a different Expert.

If you still need assistance here, can you please let me know if the TV is something you're looking to try to repair yourself?

Or are you looking for a diagnosis of what is wrong, a repair estimate and a link to locate service?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am looking for local service. I'd like to have the tv repaired if possible.

Can you help?

Thanks for the reply and I will do the best I can to help you here today. There's a chance that the TV's EEPROM (which is the processor) simply locked up and the set needs to be rebooted. I would give this a shot before we rule that the set is faulty.

To do this, simply unplug the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 15 seconds, then plug it back in and press power once. If this works, then the TV simply needed a hard reset to cure up a locked up processor.

If this does not work, then the set does require service. Common modes of failure for this set are a faulty Power Supply, faulty Mainboard, or one of the Sustain boards that drive the Plasma panel are shorted, and in need of replacement. Unfortunately the average cost of repairs on this TV is around $350 parts and labor, which would make one thing carefully about putting the money into repairs seeing as a new LCD TV can be purchased for around the same price.

If you'd like to locate a Tech, you can use one of the following links below to try to find the closest one to your area:

www.tvrepairpros.com

www.tvrepairman.com

www.tvrepair.com

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We tried the power off and pushed the power button, holding it for15 secs., but it still doesn't work. What is the next step?

If the hard reset did not work, then the set does require service.

Common modes of failure for this set are a faulty Power Supply, faulty Mainboard, or one of the Sustain boards that drive the Plasma panel are shorted, and in need of replacement. Unfortunately the average cost of repairs on this TV is around $350 parts and labor, which would make one thing carefully about putting the money into repairs seeing as a new LCD TV can be purchased for around the same price.

http://www.tvrepairpros.com/

http://www.tvrepairman.com/

http://www.tvrepair.com/

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much. Just sorry you couldn't have fixed it. Guess I'll have to see about purchasing a new tv.

ESJohnson

I'm sorry for the bad news, and wish there was a quick fix for this problem. I wanted to give you several sources where you could locate TV repair shops as indicated in your original question, and then ultimately it is your call whether or not to put the money into repairs or replacement.
Aric, Technician
Experience: 15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company