Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

No signal from Vizio smart TV to Dish network

Customer Question

Hi, I just bought a smart tv 55" Vizio I am trying to connect my dish network to the tv using for right now a coax cable. But I am not getting any signals. I tried either cable box or from the wall coax connection Nothing works. What to do?

Thanks

Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I will be glad to assist you.

What Input setting are you using on the Vizio (TV, Component, HDMI 1, etc.)? Also, have you run through the initial setup on the TV yet?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am doing the tuner set up right now it shows either Cable or Antenna
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the reply.
You actually want to try Antenna with a Sat Box first, then run a Scan.
If that doesn't work, then we would next try Cable, but typically Sat boxes use an Antenna signal to the TV.
Let me know where you get stuck, or if you're successful.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No Both don't work tried several times I have the dish network on on the other tv so that;s working.Don't understand the old tv I just removed worked fine
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Did the other TV have to be set on a certain channel to pick up the DISH signal?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
channel 60
But how do I get to that channel before scanning
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

You can set the Channel that the TV starts it's scan at. Please refer to page 32 of the manual, and try an Analog (I'm assuming your old TV was an Analog set), then start the scan at channel 59, with the SAT box ON.

http://store.vizio.com/documents/downloads/hdtv/E551dA0/UM_E551dA0.pdf

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Did you have any luck?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No luck
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

I'm running out of ideas on this one. As a last ditch effort, how about if you try to "Add a single new analog channel", following the steps below (add Channel 60):To add a single new analog channel:1. From the Tuner Settings menu, highlight Add Analog Channel and press OK. The Add Analog Channel menu is displayed.2. Highlight Enter Channel # and use the Number Pad on the remote to enter the number of the channel you are adding.3. Highlight Add Channel and press OK. The TV scans for the channel. 4. When the TV is done scanning for the channel, press the EXIT button on the remote.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Tried that already nothing
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry, I have no ideas on this one. I will opt out and open the question up to other experts. I
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.

Have you checked the center pin of the F-connector of the coaxial cable?

Offhand, the only doable attempt of a check would be to bring the new Vizio to where the Dish Network receiver is and directly connect the Vizio to the receiver's HOME DISTRIBUTION terminal/connector using a known to be good short coaxial patchcord.

Please exercise due care and caution.

With this:

• • if problem persist, then it would be an internal hardware issue with the new TV;
  • if it works, then the coaxial cable may have had issues.

Please post back observations / results.