Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.

My big screen tv just went off and wont come back on.

Customer Question

Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I'm Dan, a TV repair pro with more than 10 years of experience in consumer electronics troubleshooting and repair. I'd be happy to help!

Are you seeing any signs of life at all from the TV? Some things to look for...

1. An illuminated standby light on the front. It could be solid or flashing.
2. When you unplug it and plug it back in, do you hear a "click" (or multiple clicks)?
3. If you try to turn it on, can you hear anything happening inside like a fan spinning?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a little blue light used to come on but nothing. When the electricity would blink it would click but now nothing. There is no sound at all.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.

Are you sure the outlet is functional, and that the power cord is securely attached at both ends?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes the outlet is working.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the quick responses.

With no signs of life whatsoever (no standby LED, no audible "click" when you plug it in, no illumination on screen, etc.) the first concern is the condition line fuse. If the fuse is blown, you're looking at $100-$150 for parts and labor if this is the only problem. Usually a blown fuse is just a symptom of something else, though.

If the fuse is fine or if the blown fuse was caused by something else (this is the most probable scenario), there are two areas of concern... the power supply board, and the main board. Either of these could cause a "dead" state like you're seeing and could also cause the fuse to blow. The power supply is the least expensive of the two, and would normally run $250-$350 for parts and labor. It's also the most common. The main board is roughly $100 more, for this model.

If you need to find a local repair pro, check out tvrepairpros.com and enter you zip code. They have a pretty thorough listing.

Alternatively, if you have tools and are comfortable working with electronics, just let me know and I'll help you fix this yourself and save on those labor charges!

I hope this answers your question. If you need any clarification, fire away. If you're good to go, please don't log off without rating my service. I hope it was excellent!

Best,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for taking the time to reply. We live in such a remote area away from every where to take it for repair. It sounda like my best option would to invest in a new t.v. I will check and see where a repair shop might be in our area. Thank you again . You are great.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Helping is my pleasure, Sandra!

I understand you've decided to replace the TV. That may be for the best, XXXXX XXXXX the market and how low prices have dipped over the past couple years.

If I can do anything else for you, just let me know.

Best,
Experience: USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My questions yesterday were #1304651337. My husband took the back off the t.v. after the session with dan. My question 2 day The EMI filter has a spot the size of a dime on it . Could this be a problem?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Welcome back! Sorry for the delay in responding.

Good troubleshooting! A spot like that is definitely a symptom of the failure. Whether or not the filter itself is the problem, would require more investigation.

Does your husband have a voltage meter? Can he measure circuits safely? I'm happy to help troubleshoot.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dan that is exactly what we were going to do. What would the cost be of the filter? Thanks Sandra Would dust and lint have caused a problem ? We had alot. thank you. Do you guys sell parts?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
We don't sell parts, but I'm happy to assist in troubleshooting, repair, finding parts, etc. Consider me your repair concierge

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Yes, dust can dramatically affect the TV's inner temperature, and high temperatures can shorten electronic components' lifespan.

The part number for the AC socket & filter assy is 2422 549 01499. They're not made anymore and are pretty hard to find. If I needed one, I would call the guys at ShopJimmy.com to see if they could get me one. Should run about $10.

Start with that, and let me know the results!

Best,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry this is so late for u we have a time difference . The number on my EMI filter is 06SEEG3HA is this the same as your replacement? Have a good evening. Thanks Dan
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hm... I'm not seeing that part number in the service manual, but there's no better source than the TV itself.

I'd trust your part number over mine any day, since mine came from a book and yours from the TV itself.

Best,