Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

i have a 1080p 65 inch tv 3 years old, the red power light

i have a 1080p 65 inch tv 3 years old, the red power light flashes when you turn on the tv
however the picture will not come on unless i manually push in on the on button a couple of times then the pictire will come on ????
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

Can you please get me the modle number off of the back of the TV?
How long have you had the set for, and when did the problem occur?
Was it after a storm or power outage?
Does the standby/timer light blink continuously, or in a pattern (such as 5 blinks, pause, 5 blinks, pause, etc.)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

model number tc-65v10

purchased jan 2010

the red light blinks 6 times pauses then starts over

not aware of any storm, we also have a surge protection system(very expensive)

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply.

Are you 100% certain of the 6 blink pattern of blinks? I ask because the error code the light gives us is very significant in determining what is wrong.

Also, does the light blink once power is pressed on the TV, or as soon as the set is plugged into the outlet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i am certain , there are six blinks of the red light a pause then six more blinks

these blinks occur when you use the remote and when you turn on the power by pressing the on off button on the front of the tv

i have not unplugged the tv at all

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, I just wanted to make sure that I am looking at the right diagnosis per the blink code to give you an accurate answer.

The symptoms you have indicate a failing component in the TV. There are several things that could cause the issue, and I will try to explain them the best I can here.

First is the power supply, as there are several caps that become out of spec and can cause the TV to take longer and longer to power up. Average cost for this type of repair is around $250 parts and labor on this set.

The other is the Mainboard, which carries the communication needed for the supply to turn on and provide the voltages needed to operate. Average cost to replace the mainboard is $350 parts and labor.

Lastly, the sustain boards as they are the hardest working boards in the set and run very very hot. Failing sustain boards are very common in these sets, and typically run around $450 parts and labor.

The only way to isolate is to have a tech measure the voltages from the power supply, and also to check the sustain boards for shorts.

I'm sorry I don't have a quick fix for this problem, but it will require testing and components replacement to fix the TV.

If you'd like you can use the site below to locate a tech in your area:

Www.tvrepairpros.com

If you need further assistance let me know and I will continue to assist.

If you're satisfied with my service, please do not forget to rate the answer accordingly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Eric i just uplugged the tv power cord and plugged it back in and for now the blinking has gone away (who knows maybe thats all it needed)

What does the 6 blinks code mean?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
The 6 blink code is an error code generated by Panasonic to tell a tech which circuit to begin testing. Now you unplugged the set and plugged it back in and the TV turned on, but you've had to press power more and more in the past to get the TV to turn on. This is telling us, along with the 6 blinking lights, that there IS a failing component in the TV. The problem is going to get worse (this is what always happens and it doesn't fix itself, it is simply intermittent which is why the set turned on this time).

The 6 blink code is in the service manual and tells us to check the power supply outputs, and then to systematically check the mainboard, and the Sustain boards.

I work with your TV and other Panasonics on a daily basis, and I've seen this problem.

You can keep unplugging it to prolong getting it serviced, but eventually this reset will not work and the TV will just be blinking and not turn on which is what always occurs.

Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.