Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

Hello, I have an LG 55LE5500 that has recently been experiencing

I have an LG 55LE5500 that has recently been experiencing issues with responding to commands. The TV will randomly beep, then the front panel touch controls will all be permanently illuminated and will not respond to either remote commands or controls on the front of the TV.

At first, I was able to unplug the HDMI port for whichever input I was on and then the commands would respond once again. This worked for a time, but the interval between losing control started to shorten, until now the controls seem to be permanently locked. I have also tried unplugging the TV over night, but that has also not solved the problem.

Any help you can offer would be most appreciated!

Hi! Thank you for using Just Answer today! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-Does the tv still come on and work for awhile before locking up?
-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the quick response!

The TV will still come on, and until the past couple of days, it would work for a short period of time (1 day or 2) before locking up again. As of yesterday however, I am not able to get the TV to respond at all. The only way to power it down is to unplug it. Once I plug it back in however, the TV turns on and seems to go through its usual start up process, then it beeps and all the controls on the front of the TV are permanently illuminated and will not respond to the remote of the front panel controls.

The unit was purchased in December of 2011.

OK so it turns on by itself now as soon as you plug it in?... you dont have to turn it on?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That is correct, as soon as the TV is plugged back in, it turns on on its own.

There are a couple of things that could cause this, unfortunately there is no reset for this television other than unplugging it. It will have an internal failure at this point. I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can.

First, we have seen some capacitors fail in your model and cause funky problems like this. If this is the case you could be looking at somewhere around $175-$200 to fix the set.

Next could be the main/control board, this would not be good news because you could be looking at $250-$350 for the repair.

Either of these could cause your problem, but it will require troubleshooting to determine the exact cause of your problem. If you have experience, and test equipment and would like to attempt some troubleshooting I will be happy to assist you, however if you do not have equipment or experience then you would need a repairman at this time to get an exact diagnosis. I am sorry that I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, it is definitely an internal failure.

Please rate my service and push the submit button. If you need anything further at all, please use the REPLY TO EXPERT tab and I will be more than happy to help you further.