Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

My SC-PT170 is displaying in black & white

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, is this a fresh/new install? Or has the SC-PT170 been used before and the black & white a recent issue?

Additionally, please describe how the SC-PT170 is connected to the TV using what kind of cable(s)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The SC-PT170 is about 1 year old and has worked OK. It was conected to a new Palsonic TFTV327FHD television 2 days ago and colour was fine.

The B&W problem occured when I turned it on tonight. With the SC turned off the TFTV presents in full colour.

The SC is connected to the TV with a single video cable (not HDMI) the sound comes straight out of the SC to the supplied speakers.

Appreciate the additional information.

If not HDMI, SCART? If SCART, is there an adapter / converter at the TV's end?

Please confirm that the Panasonic is set to PAL and not NTSC.

Should the above be not corrective, check/replace the SCART cable and ensure that the end connectors are fully seated. Consider / try swapping how the ends of the SCART cable are connected; i.e. what used to be connected to the Palsonic TV, connect it now to the Panasonic and the other way around for the other end.

Please post back observations / results once tried.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Cable is an audio / video cable (Red / black / yellow) with the yellow plug used.

There is not an adaptor at either end.

I have replaced the cable and double checked that it is plugged in firmly at both ends.

I confirm that the Panasonic is set on PAL

I understand.

A review / tries:
  • • ensure that the yellow plug is connected to the TV's yellow jack marked VIDEO and not the Y jack;
  • verify that the TV's Color System is set to PAL;
  • verify that the TV is set to AV mode.

Please post back results.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, yellow jack is in Video jack

I cannot find the TV setting for PAL

Yes TV is set to AV mode

Still B&W

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Expert has gone off line
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

According to the manual for the SC system it does not have a Yellow jack, only Scart and HDMI for audio output. So I'm not sure what jack you're plugged into on the back of the SC system.

I think what benimur was elluding to, was a Scart adaptor (Scart on teh SC side), to Yellow "Video" adaptor (on the TV side).

If you're using one of these adaptors a bent pin on the SC system, or loose connection of the cable at the SC end WILL cause the problems you're having, and that cable wouldneed to be replaced.

If you DO indeed have a yellow cable from the SC-PT170, to the TV's "Y" jacks and then "Component" selected on the TV will definitely give you a Black and White Picture.

But if you're definitely plugged into "Video", and have selected AV then it should not.

Please double check this.

If this is correct, and the TV plays back just fine with other devices in color, then try rebooting the SC-PT170 system but shutting everything off, then unplug the SC system from power, press and hold the power button and STOP button together for 10 seconds, then plug it back in and power it on.

Let me know if you still get the black and white picture from the SC System on the TV screen.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have unpluged the yellow cable from the TV and pluged it into an EPSON Data Projector and it is playing full colour.

Plug back into TV and B&W
Thank you for the reply.

Okay, then we've confirmed the problem doesn't generate from the SC system, and it is coming from the TV.

Please read what I posted again about the Y and Video settings above.

If you are absolutely certain this is not the case, then the fault is occuring in your TV and you would want to unplug the TV, press and hold power, then plug back in and try again.

If you've confirmed connections as indicated above, then this is a fault with the Mainboard on your TV not processing the AV Input correctly and the Mainboard (the one with all of the AV jacks) would need to be replaced. If you need further assistance let me know and I will continue to work with you on this.
Aric, Technician
Experience: 15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company