Steve G., Technician
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.

Customer Question: I am copy/pasting this question that you

Customer Question: I am copy/pasting this question that you answered for someone last year. i have the same problem.

i have a mitsubishi hd 1080 vs-50111,
serial# XXXXX The power just went out. The green light flashes went power button is pushed. it goes out immediately. the tv wont turn on
Category: TV
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Ok, Ok. Power the TV up and let it switch itself off.

ON THE TV, press the MENU and INPUT buttons together for 5-8 seconds. If you don't have these buttons, press ACTIVITY and the Channel Down button. On some sets the INPUT button is labeled DEVICE.

The status LED will then flash indicating a two digit code separated by a brief pause.

It could be three flashes and then two flashes which would be 32.

The sequence will repeat 5 times i.e. 3-2,3-2,3-2,3-2,3-2 long pause.

Can you tell me the code please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, one sec. the tv is in the other room. this will take a minute.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it goes blink blink pause blink blink pause blink blink pause 11 times (or maybe it was 10 times???)

Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.

So you are getting a 2-2 error code.

This indicates a 'Short Protect' error most commonly caused by a convergence failure. This is very very common in older projection TVs like yours.

The TV has three color tubes in the lower half of the cabinet that project an image off the main mirror and onto the back of the screen. The convergence circuit processes the signals to the tubes and adjusts the light beams so that the red, blue and green images all line up. When the circuit fails, the light beams don't line up and you get a '3D' image with the separated colors and bowing near the edges OR, you get a short protect error. Like yours.

The convergence circuit has two main components called convergence amplifiers (some call them STKs or convergence ICs). They fail. It is also common for some pico fuses or fusible resistors associated with the STKs on the board to blow.

You have a few choices:

1. Some people have fixed this themselves. You should have a basic understanding of soldering and would need soldering tools (Radio Shack - $20). Here is what is involved - it will give you an idea although it is not your exact TV:

You can buy the kit for your TV here:

The kit includes all the components and step by step instructions. About $70-$80. Many of my customers have done this and been successful.

2. You can try and find a rebuilt board on sites like and elsewhere. This would probably cost around $200-$300 and you would need to pull the old one out and put the new one in.

3. You can have it professionally repaired. This would probably cost around $500 or more. You should solicit the services of an authorized repair shop.

I'm sorry it isn't the best news.

I can help you in any way you want. Just let me know.

Steve G., Technician
Experience: VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

you're right, not good news. =( i was told an hour or so ago that it was most likely my motherboard which goes for about $800. Which lines up with what you said, a used (rebuilt one) would be about 200-300. As far as soldering, i would have to get help from a friend on that one, and for the price it sounds like it might be worth it as the TV still has a very clear picture. when i can turn it on that is. lol. Thanks Steve. appreciate you.