Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

Vizio HDTV, love it. a couple of days ago it started showing

Vizio HDTV, love it. a couple of days ago it started showing at the bottom of it lines, like when you are defragmenting your computer, a bar with vertifal lines in different colors and moving ramdomly. but stays and can't see the whole picture. Any idea what this is or how it can be fixed?

Hi! Thank you for using Just Answer today! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)
-How old is the unit?
- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game console, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

All channels, cable and satellite. the tv is about 6 years old. I have to get back to you with the dvd player and the model number.

Ok no problem, let me know when you get it.

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Model # XXXXX XXXXX bought it about six years ago. the vertical lines keep moving around, like I said before almost like when you are defragmenting your computer, and they are different colors too.

If you push the MENU button on the tv itself, does the menu show up normal or is it affected too?

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is affected too.

There are a couple of things that could cause this, unfortunately there is no reset for this television other than unplugging it. It will have an internal failure at this point. I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can.

First, we have seen some capacitors fail in your model and cause funky problems like this. If this is the case you could be looking at somewhere around $175-$200 to fix the set.

Next could be the main/t-con board, this would not be good news because you could be looking at $150-$250 for the repair (I know this is up there in the price range and most likely getting over the cost of a new set)

Either of these could cause your problem, but it will require troubleshooting to determine the exact cause of your problem. If you have experience, and test equipment and would like to attempt some troubleshooting I will be happy to assist you, however if you do not have equipment or experience then you would need a repairman at this time to get an exact diagnosis. I am sorry that I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, it is definitely an internal failure.

Please rate my service and push the submit button. If you need anything further at all, please use the REPLY TO EXPERT tab and I will be more than happy to help you further.

Thanks!

Tim