Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

My Sony 40" tv goes very dark after watching awhile. It is

My Sony 40" tv goes very dark after watching awhile. It is as if it gets dark after getting warm. It is 4 1/2 years old. Is it time to replace?

Hi! Thank you for using Just Answer today! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game console, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Plugged computer into the TV and the screen still was dark. Also played back recorded DVR shows and they were dark.
If you push the MENU (or home) button on the tv itself, are the words/pictures of the menu dark too?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. The guide is dark
Normally what causes this is a bad LCD panel Sandy. This is not good news. The price to replace a panel normally costs more than a new tv.

There are some tabs inside the LCD panel that are bonded to the panel, sometimes when it gets warm these can release and cause an issue, like you are expereincing.

I am sorry to bring bad news Sandy, I wish I had an easier fix for you but when a panel fails, its never repairable because it costs too much.

Please let me know if you need anything further or if you have any more questions. I am happy to help in any way I can. If this is all the info you needed, then please remember to rate me before leaving.