Steve G., Technician
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.
329447

My 42-inch Sony LCD TV Bravia was bought in late...

My 42-inch Sony LCD TV Bravia was bought in late December 2012 at a Sam's Club in Savannah, Georgia. It worked well until Saturday night, May 4, when it had no power. I tried everything I could find in the operating instructions, to no avail. I called an electronics technician, who tried everything he could think of, still to no avail. The Comcast cable box has power and the DVD player has power, but the TV has no power. What could have caused this terrible malfunction? My name is XXXXX XXXXX and my e-mail address isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. My telephone number is XXXXX Please help!

Category: TV
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Maurice. I'm Steve. I'm sorry to hear about your TV. I will try my best to give you a precise and accurate answer.

Does the TV appear to be completely dead? No noises, lights etc when you plug it in and try to turn it on?

Let me know so that we can continue.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The TV is absolutely dead. There is usually a tiny orange light visible on the lower right edge of the set; when the power button on the remote is pressed, a tiny blue light appears and the screen reads SONY. When the power button on the cable remote is pressed, the last channel viewed appears. None of this happens now.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Maurice. I'm sorry for the delay but the Just Answer web site has been experiencing difficulties today. This is the first time I have been able to log in. Sorry about that.

Ok, if the set is competely dead and you have done the obvious like check the power receptacle (plug something else into it to see if that works), then the power supply board in the TV would be the next thing to look at. That is the board that takes the wall power and converts it to the various voltages needed for the TV to function. One of the components on the board is a fuse. We can check that.

Is this something you can do? You would need to remove teh rear of the TV and a multimeter would be helpful.

Let me know so that we can continue.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am nearly electronically illiterate and I don't have the knowledge to remove the back of the TV. As for rechecking the power outlets, I have already unplugged the TV from the surge protector and plugged it directly into a wall outlet. No luck.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I understand. The TV has a definite faulty with the power supply board. Unfortunately, as you can probably appreciate, it isn't going to fix itself.

If you give me your zip, I can recommend someone in your area. There is no quick and easy fix for this problem.

Let me know so that we can continue.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am in Savannah, Georgia, and my zip code is 31406.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thanks for that info.

Try Thomas Mobile TV Repair at(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

They are members of the National Electronics Service Dealers Assoc. and should give you good service.

Let me know if you need more help.

Steve

(912)(NNN) NNN-NNNN/td>

Steve G., Technician
Experience: VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.