Anthony F.
Anthony F., Owner of TV Service Center
Experience:  20+ yrs. of experience in TV repair, TV production and engineering as owner of TV service center.

My Vizio color TV has lost its color

Customer Question

My Vizio color TV has lost its color and is now black and white on all channels.
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.

Hi! Thank you for using Just Answer today! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)
-How old is the unit?
- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game console, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have to look.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will try to get the model number. Please wait

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
OK take your time.

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

VW32LHDTV40A

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
If you push the MENU button on the tv itself, do the words/pictures in the menu have color or are the b&w too?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the words/pictures in the menu have color

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
OK so what do you have that is black and white? (cable, satellite or antenna?)

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

cable

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a cable box or does the cable go straight from the wall to the tv?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a cable box

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

cable box

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

cable box

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry Judith, I had an internet problem here and could not get back to you until now.

OK, chances are the tv is not the problem...its most likely a problem in the cable box or the cables between the box and the tv.

Can you look between the box and the tv and ensure all cales are tight on both the back of the tv and the back of the box please?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

all cables are tight

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Judith, I am not sure how I have given you BAD SERVICE here tonight, all I have done is ask you to check the connections and reply back to me so we can continue troubleshooting if that was not the problem.

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have had great difficulty getting responses from you and I keep getting requests for money although I have paid. This has taken over an hour to get to this point and you say you had trouble with the internet Perhaps that has been the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Perhaps your internet problem has caused the constant requests for money although I have paid as well as my not getting responses to my replies to

your inquiries. It has taken over an hour to get to this point.

Expert:  Anthony F. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Please BE aware
This is tech information service. you are paying for the benefit of my real world experience and can save you time and money
Tim has opted out but i do believe he was on the right track
you must understand this is not our site dont confuse your displeasure with the site and that of the experts trying to help you
you need to look on the back of your cable box and you need to PUSH and twist EVERY CONNECTION and do the same on the back of the tv as well
you should have 5 wires hooked to the tv from the box GREEN and RED and BLUE make up picture
then there are 2 more for audio RED and WHITE do not confuse AUDIO RED with PICTURE RED the result will be NO or WEAK color check this carefully and post back please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

alll cables are tight

Expert:  Anthony F. replied 1 year ago.
not possible I have seen this a hundred times
can you upload a picture od the problem?
do you have a dvd player?
does it play in color?
you said the tv menu color is good
correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Picture is black and white

don't have a dvd

menu is in color and the Color index is pushed to the lowest range. All others are fine

Expert:  Anthony F. replied 1 year ago.
unplug your cable box from ac power
and reboot it
see if the color returns to normal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't know how to do that. I am 77 years old and don't know what ac power is. I don't know what to do

Expert:  Anthony F. replied 1 year ago.
ok i will opt out of the question and submit you for a refund
thanks for trying ja