Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

I have problems with my Samsung only on certain channels and

I have problems with my Samsung only on certain channels and never on others. The trouble with the TV on those certain channels is the picture breaks up or the TV goes off for several seconds. Also, there is a a guide that appears over the picture with various settings available such as mode and dynamic, etc.

Hi! Thank you for using Just Answer today! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-Do you have, cable, satellite or antenna?

-Which chanels does this happen on?

-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have Time Warner Cable. I have had the TV 5 or 6 years. The main channel I have a problem with is 14. I am in NYC.

Do you have a cable box with Time Warner or does the cable go straight from the wall to the tv?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a cable box

Do you have other tvs in the home?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK well the breaking up issue I believe is a problem in the time warner box, chances are you are going to need a new box to fix that issue.

However the settings over the picture should be a simple fix for you.

Please try this and let me know if it takes your tv out of demo mode:

1. Press the Volume DOWN button once and keep holding. [The Volume indicator will appear] Push this button on the tv itself not the remote
  2. While the Volume indicator is on the screen, Press and hold the Menu button for 10-15 seconds.
  3. If done correctly, the screen will say either "Standard".

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did what you suggested. I never saw anything that indicated Standard mode. Now I am on Channel 14 and it is going off (turning black) for a few seconds and the talking heads are freezing for several seconds. It's acting poorly as usual. Haven't seen the setting menu that covers the picture yet.

Is the various settings available such as mode and dynamic, etc. still showing up?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, that hasn't shown up for awhile. Now the whole tv seems to black out (sound also) for several seconds and comes on again.

When black, if you push the MENU button on the tv, does the menu show up?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

YES, I got that Mode :Dynamic screen. Picture still goes off continually with the sound.

Just on 14 or on all channels?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It certainly isn't on most channels. Mainly we watch 14 MSNBC and find the problem there. Never on History Channel or Animal Planet. It doesn't seem to happen on ESPN sports either or on channel 1 or 13.

Ok, you have a problem with the cable box or the cable line coming into your home then, you are going to need to call Customer Service at Time Warner at this point to get that repaired.

Good news is that its not a problem with your tv.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. Is there any reason this happens mostly on channel 14?

Probably something wrong with that band in the tunner in the box...channels are broken up into bands when they are decoded in those set top boxes so if it only fails in one area it can cause a problem.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, Tim. I will work with Time Warner to replace the box and hope for the best. Thanks so much. I am glad it's not the TV.

OK Robin, let me know if you need anything at all.