Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

Sony DVD wont work. When I turn DVD on and insert a movie,

Customer Question

Sony DVD won't work. When I turn DVD on and insert a movie, counter starts moving but tv screen stays on.
Category: TV
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I'm Steve. I'm sorry to hear about your TV. I will try my best to give you a precise and accurate answer.

I need some additional information from you in order to fully understand the situation.

What is the make and model of your TV?

Do you have the original TV remote?

Let me know so that we can continue.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sony,KDL-46V5100. don't have original remote.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, what we need to do is tell the TV to listen to the input connected to the DVD player and not the cable box or however you get your TV signals.

Since you do not have the remote we can use the buttons on the side. Here is a picture of those: http://screencast.com/t/IUHXDakE0

Press the INPUT button first and then use the Channel up and down buttons to cycle through the devices connected to your TV - one of which is the DVD player.

Can you try that please and tell me if it works. If it doesn't, I will need to know how you have the DVD plater connected.

Let me know so that we can continue.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The movie appears to be p[laying, but the tv is making a popping sound.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, so we have a picture. Half way there.

Now, can you tell me briefly exactly how the DVD player is connected to the TV?

The usual choices are:

Three RCA cables - red, white and yellow

Five RCA cables - two reds, green, blue and white

HDMI cable - single cable with a computer connector that looks a bit like a USB connector

Also, look at this diagram and tell me which jacks we are connected to please:

http://screencast.com/t/KZxMMSv5

Let me know so that we can continue.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HDM1

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

This set has 4 HDMI inputs. Which one, the one on the back?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the one on the back.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, does your sound normally come from the TV 's built in speakers or do you have a surround system?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have speakers.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Ahh. Ok.

I'm going to need to know the make and model of the sound system.

I also need to know how you get TV since you are getting TV sound - correct?

So, do you use a cable box? Or something else.

At any time, please feel free to give me as much additional information as you can. I will be able to help you much quicker if I know what is going on.

Cheers

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just use speakers I bought some time ago.I have cable box.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
What do the speakers connect to?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have to crawl behind he tv, so it takes some time. actually the speakers are only connected to the mini system.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Ahh, so there is a mini system in the mix now :)

I'm sorry, I am going to opt out of this question which will allow other TV experts to chime in and try to help. I'm sorry that I am unable to help at this time.

Regards

Steve

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Aric and I'm a different expert here. If you still would like help with this problem, we will need to know more in detail about how the mini system is connected to the TV, or cable box. Right now, based on my reading the dialogue between you and Steve, it sounds like the Mini system is still playing the TV sounds when you're watching a DVD.

Quick question, if you raise the volume on the TV itself when the DVD is playing, does the DVD sound come directly from the TV speakers?

If so, this sounds like the Mini system is connected to your cable box, and we would need to route the DVD sound to the Mini System.

To do this, I will need the Make and Model number of the Mini system, and also the connection between the cable box and the mini system.

If you need further assistance with this problem please let me know, but based on what you've said it sounds like we need to connect the DVD's red and white audio cables directly to the mini system's audio Input jacks.