Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

I have a Westinghouse LD-4655Vx 46" LED HDTV. The power shut

I have a Westinghouse LD-4655Vx 46" LED HDTV. The power shut off while watching, no lights at all. AC plug good. Unplugged for 30 seconds and still didn't power up. Is it worth repairing?
Steve in Colorado
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.

Hi! Thank you for using Just Answer today! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-When you plug it in or turn it on, does it do anything at all? (light blink, click noise, etc.)

-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tim
Nothing at all, no sounds or lights. The unit is 2 years old this month
Steve

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Ok so this tv is pretty much basic...there are only 3 parts to it in total. These are the AC adapter (part of the power cord), the main board and the LED boards.

Now unfortuantely 95% of the time when this tv dies like this, its a LED board that has shorted and is shutting the set down. I see this all the time on this model. The problem is when a LED board goes bad you cant fix the tv because they don't sell the part.

Now, 5% of the time its a bad AC adapter or a bad main board. The main board on this tv runs about $90 used and the power adapter around $30 if you can find one.

Some tests are needed to know for sure where your problem lies. Do you know how to use a meter? IF so I can help you confirm the problem and if not the LED board I can help you fix the set too.

If not you may want a tech to troubleshoot the set to determine for sure if its a LED board or something as simple as an AC adapter.

Also to give you some more good info...if it does turn out to be a bad LED board...do not throw the tv out. You can open this set up and take the main board out and sell it on ebay for about $90, I have sold several and they sell like hot cakes. The stand sell s for $60 -$70 too and the power cord for $30 or $40. So if you have a bad LED board and the tv is not repairable...you can sell the main board, stand and power cord and recoup about $170-$200 which is better than throwing the tv away.

I am sorry for the bad news Steve, please let me know if you have a meter so we can troubleshoot or not.

Please rate my service and push the submit button. If you need anything further at all, please use the REPLY TO EXPERT tab and I will be more than happy to help you further.

Thanks!

Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I know how to use a VOM

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
OK good deal, have you checked the Ac adapter already to make sure its putting out its voltage?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've got AC voltage into the adapter. How do I check output voltage with only one lead and is it AC or DC output?

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
The output is DC, stick one lead in the center and touch one lead to the outside metal case on the tip, you should get a DC voltage reading.

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm getting 19.2 VDC output

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
OK so thats good, we know its either a LED board or a main board.

Can you get the back off the tv and send me a picture so I can mark where you need to test on the inside?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do I take out all the boarder screws to remove the back?

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is correct. IF it is on the stand still, you need to lay it down flat on its face on a soft surface and then take the screws out including the stand screws to remove the stand and the back.

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can't figure out how to attach picture to this. Can you send an email address and will send from Ipad

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Unfortuantely they wont let us contact customers any way but on this site so they wont let me give you my email.

Are you able to upload to www.imgur.com and send me the link to it?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ive tried everything I know and have no sucess, any suggestions? I have the back off is there anything I can test

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
OK do you see the wires that go from the main board to the control board (the board with the buttons on it)?

I need you to test the DC voltage on those wires, do any of them have voltage?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Where do I place neg probe? Am I checking for pos volts at pin plug? on output wires

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
You can use any of the metal on the back of the panel as ground. Yes check all the pins of that plug for DC voltage.

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No voltage on any wire at pin connector

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Yeah that is what I was afraid of.

Now you see the two small ribbon cables over on the left side of the board? Flip up the levers on the connectors and remove the ribbon cables. Now re-test the wires going to the button assembly...there should be voltage there now.

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I get voltage now

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
Yeah that confirms my fear...you have a bad LED board.

I am sorry for the bad news Steve, I was afraid we would find that. Please let me know if you have any other quesitons or if I can do anythign else at all for you.

Thanks!

Tim

Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.