Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

My JVC LT42E478 LCD TV has a picture that looks bleached. If

My JVC LT42E478 LCD TV has a picture that looks bleached. If you adjust the brightness all the way you can make some pictures look better but it is still not right. I am not afraid to take this TV appart and replace the failed compontent. Got any ideas what could be causing this?

Hi! Thank you for using Just Answer today! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-If you push the MENU button on the tv, do the pictures/words of the menu look normal or are they affected too?
-How old is the unit?
- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game console, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have tried the digital antenna and roku. They both have a picture that is too bright. The menu looks fine when it comes up. But it is in darker colors so I am not sure why it would look normal.

Can you get me a picture of the problem?

(if you can post a picture, please click the icon above, where you are typing, of the paper clip. This will allow you to upload a picture)

Trying to troubleshoot a video problem blind is not easy, so if you can get me a picture that will give me a much better idea of what is going on.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

JVC TV picture

I see thin lines in the picture, are those actually there or is that just something showing up in the picture?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It must be something just showing up in the pic I took. The problem is a bleached picture. When people are on the screen their foreheads are very white and sometime very shiny.

OK yeah I see that for sure, just wanted to make sure the other stuff was just part of the photo.

You said you get this on antenna and ROKU?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes and with a DVD player. Every input whether it be coax or HDMI cables or RCA cables it doesn't matter.

OK and you are pretty sure the menu is not affected by this problem?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Very sure.During our conversations I reset to factory default settings and it did not change it. I'll bet you talk to some people that may not be very technical. I am very good with this kind of stuff. I was in the automotive parts and repair business for 25 years. So I understand electronics somewhat. I'm not discounting the other clients but just trying to let you know my technical abilities. I have checked the basics on this TV for the last month or so.

No I understand, its not that I don't trust the info you are giving me, I just want to be 100% sure before telling someone to order a part.

But with this problem, I first thought it was a bad main board...after seeing it, I still thought main board and when you tell me that the menu looks perfect then I would say for sure you have a bad main board.

The part number you need is SFN0D002A-M2-R. ITs about a $400 board but if you go on ebay you can get a used one around $75.

Please rate my service and push the submit button. If you need anything further at all, please use the REPLY TO EXPERT tab and I will be more than happy to help you further.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If I take this TV apart, in your opinion and history do you think I will be able to see a burned or identify a failed component on the board? Or is there normally no physical damage evident.

No, I don't think you will see anything physical at all..the problem will be inside an IC or something but chances are the board will look 100% perfect.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I see on Ebay like you were talking. They list a

SFN0D002A Digital Board

Is that the part you are talking about?

SFN0D002A-M2 is the number you want if getting off ebay.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was just talking with someone from He agreed with your diagnosis. I will give you positive feedback. Good job Tim. Thanks for your help. One thing. I want to pay the $38 I was quoted but do not want a monthly subscription. Hopefully I can figure that out. Thanks again for your help.

OK Jeff, let me know if you need anything further. It looks like you are not signed up for the subscription, so if you rate my service at this point it should close us out and you should not have any further charges.

Let me know if you need anything further at all.