Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

I have a Dynex DX-42E250A12 42" LED-LCD TV I was watching a

I have a Dynex DX-42E250A12 42" LED-LCD TV I was watching a movie and the screen faded into white. I then tuned off the TV and let it sit for a while. Turning it on it lights up but is black and i cannot see anything (no signal, volume, menu, etc.). I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to electronics but am able to follow directions, is this something I can possibly fix or trouble shoot?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Troubleshooting what is wrong will require that I ask you for some more information. Also, please keep in kind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

How long have you had the set for and when did the problem occur?
Additionally, what is connected to the TV for devices (DVD, cable box, etc.), and do you have the same issue regardless of which Device you're watching?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's 6 months (no warranty) and all that's been plugged into it is a Sony DVD player. No i haven't had any problems with the DVD player with anything else. I'm on my back up tv now and it's been just fine. It happened about a month ago and sitting in a corner awaiting a cure.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply.

When you turn the TV on, does the Power light on the front of the set begin to blink?

Also, please power the set up, and shine a flashlight directly against the screen then look very very closely at the screen, and press MENU. Do you see a dimly lit, shadowy image behind the screen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

From off I hit the power button on the remote and the red light does the 3 blinks and then the screen lights up (still remaining black). Pressing the menu button and holding a flashlight up to the screen i do not see any images.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, this indicates a failure within the TV that requires service.
If you're looking to repair this yourself, you would need to be comfortable removing the entire rear panel of the TV, and possibly using a Multi-Meter to measure voltages inside the TV.

Or would you be more comfortable with a diagnosis of the problem, and an estimate of what it would cost to fix it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ripping things apart I can do, using a Multi-Meter I can do. I should have all the tools needed for what i may encounter.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

The first thing you would want to check for in the set, are the capacitors visually, making sure none are bulged, swollen or leaking fluid. The Power Supply is the board inside the TV that power cord directly attaches to.

Any that do not appear cylindrical, or are leaking you would take the rating (In uf), and the voltage off the cap (example: 2200 uf, 50 vdc), and cross reference them at the sites below:

http://www.digikey.com/

http://www.mouser.com/

They each solder into place with two leads, a positive and a negative. Make sure you solder the news ones in the same way, or they will explode when the TV is powered up.

Make sure you are careful not to un-solder any other adjacent circuit traces when removing the old caps, and carefully solder in the new ones allowing the solder to flow into the joint. Replace any and ALL caps that are questionable. Remember- when in doubt, change them out.

Try powering up the TV, and if the set operates normally, then you have solved the issue by replacing the faulty cap(s).

If it does not, then you would need to isolate which board is causing the problem by measuring the Power Supply Voltages.

Please only proceed if you have experience measuring live voltages on a circuit board level.

Use a DVM (Digital Volt Meter) set to DC volts, put the Black probe of the Meter on an RCA jack shield on the back of the TV, then use the Red probe and probe all of the Outputs for voltage (correct voltages will be stamped on the power supply at the outputs). Do this with NOTHING connected to the Power supply but AC power, the Mainboard, and the little board that houses the Power Switch. If a voltage is missing/ fluctuating, then the power board needs to be replaced.

If the power supply outputs its rated voltages, then connect the other boards one at a time until one causes it to shut down. This board would have the short causing the supply to SOS, and would need to be replaced.

A good source to locate replacement boards is http://www.shopjimmy.com/

and http://www.discountmerchant.com/

If you need further assistance, simply reply back and do NOT rate the answer. Also keep in mind that a "bad" or "poor" rating does not initiate a refund. You are rating the service I am providing you, not the problem with the equipment, or the fact that it may require service, or additional parts to fix the problem. The rating system is only to be used once we have successfully come to a conclusion, or a solution.

If this answers your question, please rate the answer with a "GOOD" or better, as it is the only way we Experts get paid for our work, and knowledge on the site. Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok and how much would it usually run to have someone else do this?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

To have this work performed by a Tech is typically going to run you between $150-$250 parts and labor depending on if the issue is caused by only a few capacitors, or if the Power Supply Board is the culprit.

Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.