Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

My Hitachi Plasma TV Model No: 42HDS69 will not turn on, the

My Hitachi Plasma TV Model No: 42HDS69 will not turn on, the Main Power button is on, the red stand-by light (Lamp 1) is on but Lamp 2 will not turn to blue when pushing the power button on the TV remote or the cable remote or the side power button. What can I do? If needed can I replace the side power button or some other component? (This is the second attempt to at asking this question, no indication that the first question went anywhere after clicking on "Get an Answer")
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.

Hi! Thank you for using Just Answer today! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-Any problems with picture or sound before this?

-Does the red light come on as soon as you plug it in?

-Do you get any reaction at all when you push the power button? (light blink, click noise, etc.)

-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No problems with picture or sound. (not when turned on)

Yes the red light does come on.

Could hear clicking noise, but no loner, blue light would flash about twice before being solid blue. No longer any reactions, just a steady red.

Purchased new September 2006.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
OK so the problem started where you were hearing clicking and the blue light would flash but the tv would not come on.

Now the problem has progressed to where the tv will not come on and has no reaction what so ever?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The TV comes when the blue comes on.

Yes, and the red standby light is on

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean by "The TV comes when the blue comes on." ?

I thought you said the blue light is not coming on at all anymore?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Normal operation is: The red light is normally on (this indicates standby mode) Main Power Switch is on, then when pushing the power button on the cable box or TV remote the blue light flashes (faint clicking sounds) and then comes on steady and you get picture and sound.

Now the blue light, sound and picture will not come on and no clicking sounds are heard.

Owners manual says : It is recommended to leave the "Main Power" to ON condition (lights red) for standby mode. On front panel there are two Indicating Lamps - Lamp 1 is TV Main Power is off/on (lights red when on), Lamp 2 blinking (Turning on), steady blue picture is shown.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 1 year ago.
OK thank you for clearing that up.

So this wont be a bad power button on the side of the tv, that is not your issue. This may be a power issue or a system control issue. Some testing will be needed to know where exactly your failure is. If you have/know how to use a meter I will be happy to help you troubleshoot/repair this process.

If you do no have/cant use a meter then you would need a tech to troubleshoot this as there is no way to know what is wrong from these symptoms without some testing inside the tv. If a tech repairs this you are normally looking at around $300-450 for repair.

Tim
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.