Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

Just purchased an LG Sound bar that only has optical cable

Just purchased an LG Sound bar that only has optical cable inputs. Tried connecting my Sony Bravia TV to the sound bar via optical cable directly & it would not work. Contacted LG and they told me to connect directly from my cable box to the sound bar via optical cable and it did work. However, I have a Samsung Blu Ray DVD player that only has HMDI & digital coaxial cable options and would like to a have sound bar connected to it, is there any solution for connecting the sound bar to DVD player?? (there are 2 optical cable ports on the sound bar)
I figured if the optical cable connection from the TV to sound bar which does not work, if there is a way to get that to work, then both devices would work?

Any help would be so helpful, pretty frustrating!
Thanks, Beth
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
The issue is most likely that the TV's Optical Audio jack supports PCM, and not Dolby Digital (which is the norm for connecting to Soundbar's, and Home Theater systems). If you can give me the Model Number off of the back of the TV, I can pull up the Manual and see if there are any settings to change the Audio Output format.

Additionally, if this does not work, then the other option is to purchase an inexpensive Coaxial to Optical Converter and place it in between the BR player and the Soundbar.

Please let me know the Model Number off of the back of the TV and we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sony Bravia. KDL-40S4100
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

The TV has no settings to change the format of the Optical Output, it does have one feature which "may" engage the Optical Output jack, and that is to turn the TV's internal speakers OFF. Please click on the link below and go to page 28 for instructions on how to shut the Internal Speakers OFF.

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/KDL40S4100.pdf

If this does not work, please let me know and I will find a link to the converter to go between your Blu Ray player and your Soundbar's Optical Input.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I have already tried turning the internal TV speakers off & it still not not work with optical cable directly to sound bar. When optical cable was plugged into the TV other end was a bright red, so I assumed it would work.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

The end will always be Red, as this is the laser emitting from the tip of the cable, but the format is different than what the Soundbar needs- PCM as apposed to Dolby Digital. The only solution you have here is to connect both the Cable Box and the BR player directly to the Soundbar. In order to get the BR player's Output to Optical, you need a small Converter (as shown at the link below). This will connect to the Digital Coaxial port, via an RCA cable, and then from the Converter to the Soundbar with an Optical Cable. Below is the link:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product/40018

If you need further assistance, simply reply back and do NOT rate the answer. Also keep in mind that a "bad" or "poor" rating does not initiate a refund. You are rating the service I am providing you, not the problem with the equipment, or the fact that it may require servcie, or additional parts to fix the problem. The rating system is only to be used once we have successfully come to a conclusion, or a solution.

If this answers your question, please rate the answer with a "GOOD" or better, as it is the only way we Experts get paid for our work, and knowledge on the site. Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will this conversation be forwarded via email? I am on my IPad & would like to save the info.
Thanks
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I have no way of knowing if this comes to your E-mail, I only post answers here, and the site takes care of the rest. I DO know that you can get back to this dialogue at any time by simply logging onto www.justanswer.com then clicking on "My Questions". Even after the answer is rated, the dialogue still remains open and visible.

Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.