Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.

Sony Bravia:

Sony Bravia: KDL-40V4150
Purchased Sept. 2008, (floor model)
No picture, just horizontal lines and no sound.
What to do?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Troubleshooting what is wrong will require that I ask you for some more information. Also, please keep in kind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

When did this problem occur?

Are you able to get MENU options to show up on the screen?

Are you saying that the Let light is blinking even when the set is on and the lines appear on the screen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Problem occurred Saturday evening, 8 to 9 PM.

There are no functions operating.

The set is on and the yellow left light is blinking.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply.

Please disconnect the set from AC power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 20 seconds. After another minute, plug the set back in and press power once. Do you still have the same problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No change after doing suggestion. Horizontal lines and no sound prevail.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
This indicates a failure within the TV that requires service.
If you're looking to repair this yourself, you would need to be comfortable removing the entire rear panel of the TV, and possibly using a Multi-Meter to measure voltages inside the TV.

Or would you be more comfortable with a diagnosis of the problem, and an estimate of what it would cost to fix it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like it's time to call a repair person.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately I do not have good news for you. There is no sequence of buttons you can press the reset the TV, and it will require circuit testing and component replacement to operate properly again.

There are basically three problems that would cause this, the Power Supply, the T-Con board, or the LCD panel itself has failed. Voltages need to be measured at the power supply outputs, using a DMM with nothing connected to it but AC Input. If the readings are proper, then the other boards need to be connected one at a time, until one causes the voltage to shut down at the output. Price to replace the power supply is around $200 parts and labor. If the supply outputs power with all of the boards connected, then the T-Con needs to be tested. The T-Con will run you around $150 to have replaced. If the T-Con tests good, then the LCD Panel has failed and will cost you more than a new TV (around $700) to have replaced and it is not cost effective to repair this set. I wish i had better news on this set, but the symptoms you're having indicate a failure in one of the components responsible for powering, and processing the LCD panel itself (including the LCD panel).

If you do not have experience testing live voltages on a circuit board level, then I would suggest using the link below to locate a tech in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com/

If you need further assistance, simply reply back and do NOT rate the answer. Also keep in mind that a "bad" or "poor" rating does not initiate a refund. You are rating the service I am providing you, not the problem with the equipment, or the fact that it may require servcie, or additional parts to fix the problem. The rating system is only to be used once we have successfully come to a conclusion, or a solution.

If this answers your question, please rate the answer with a "GOOD" or better, as it is the only way we Experts get paid for our work, and knowledge on the site. Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!

Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I didn't request your 'analysis and estimate.' Never the less, since your reply is lengthy I will assume your 'analysis and estimate' is a standard reply to all when you have determined you cannot help.

Do you feel this was worth $48?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
No, it is not a "standard reply". It is based on issues that arise with LCD TV's that have the problem which yours does. I do not put a price on what the answer is worth, I see the question and reply to it as accurately and as helpfully as I possibly can given that I cannot repair a physical problem from where I sit. The deposit on the value of the question is put there by the customer. If you feel my answer did not help, then you are under no obligation to rate the service and pay for the answer. Additionally if you feel a lesser amount of money is deemed fair for the answer to this question, then I can submit it to the site moderators to be adjusted. Again, I see customers from all different skillsets, some have a meter and want to go inside the TV, some do not. I can only give you all of the information I have based on what you tell me your problem is. Please advise how you'd like to proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Your service is worth $15.00 to me. If we agree you get a smiley face.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply. I agree that is fair, and I will submit the quesiton price to be adjusted by the site. Please do not rate the answer yet as you'll incur the full $48 charge. I will post back once the site adjusted the amount, Aric