Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I need to turn off the SAP function. I can locate SAP in the

I need to turn off the SAP function. I can locate SAP in the on screen menus but there is no way that I can turn it off.I have also lost sound on some channels.Some channels that were in English now come in in spanish. Help please

Jack :

Hi and welcome to justanswer.
I`m going to help you with your tv but first i will have a few questions;

Are you connected with a cable box/converter,satellite receiver, Comcast digital converter etc ?

Or directly to cable/antenna ?
Could you please lookup your tv`s model number located on the back cover or owner`s manual ?

Jack :

As you appear to be unavailable at this time, I will be in standby, just send me a reply ,and i will be notified and be with you ASAP.

Customer:

I am connected to a condo cable system that uses a small comcast converter box between the house cable connection and the TV .The User manual says on the cover Series 4 450

Jack :

O.k that would be a Comcast DTA converter.

Jack :

On its remote there is a button called LANG try to press it and set the language to english

Customer:

In order to get the serial number I would have to take it off the wall and thats not possible for me to do.

Jack :

That's o.k never mind that for now
On the comcast remote there is a button called LANG try to press it and set the language to english

Customer:

there is no button on the remote for lang

Jack :

On the Comcast remote there are no button called LANG ??
Not the tv remote

Customer:

I do not have a comcast remote

Jack :

How do you operate that box ?

Customer:

there are no controls on the little box. I operate with the original remote set to channel 3 and another remote to select viewing channel

Jack :

O.k and the other remote what is it ?

Customer:

I only seem tohave the SAP problem with certain progras such as NCIS

Customer:

it is a comcast remote which i now see has a lang button. when I push it it says English in the lower left hand corner

Jack :

O.k that is where you want to have it

Jack :

Try your tv again

Customer:

I am in South Florida where the there are a large number o f spanish language stations,but USA and CBS are always on my TV in English and never were in the SAP mode.Right now even one is behaving but it seems hen I get into rime time the SAP problem comes up with an announcement that if it s not wanted,I should turn off the SAP . HOW???? the on screen member shows mono ,stereo and SAP But it has no way to turn off the SAP

Jack :

Actually right the Comcast box controls that function , if there was a message saying English, you now should have the sound everywhere in English, did you try it ?

Customer:

Spanish language stations still speak in spanish. The problem comes when the SAP cuts in

Jack :

This is actually a common problem with those Comcast remote , if you hit that LANG button by mistake , it will switch to a different language , the way to correct this is to hit that button again once or twice.

As for Spanish stations , I don`t think there is much that can be done about that , unless they would have a SAP in English.
I mean they are Spanish stations , correct ?

Jack :

The lang button is the SAP button for that box

Customer:

well I can't test it until the SAP cuts in.

Jack :

Does your TV's remote have a button called MTS ?

Customer:

yes,the original remote

Jack :

As I said , right now the comcast box is the one that controls that function which would make your TV's SAP either disabled or ineffective.

But if you see a MTS button on the TV's remote you could try to press it to set the tv to stereo

Customer:

I have done that but when they switch to SAP that seems to change the setting from stereo to SAP.How do I disable the SAP?

Jack :

By setting it to stereo but again your tv might not be able to do that right now because of the box that controls the sap

Customer:

When the SAP starts up will hitting the language button turn it off?????

Jack :

Here is something for you to try if you have access to the power cords , unplug the tv and that box for a minute and try it again

Jack :

In any case if the language on that box is set to "English" then the SAP won`t kick in again

Customer:

Worth a shot.I have pulled all the cords. the problem Jack is that I won't know until tonight if the SAP is still on.Can we continue this tomorrow? I am on EST so tell me what time isbest for you. I am now going to plug it all back in but as I say,I still won't know until they go to SAP which seems to be a night time operation

Jack :

Customer:

so what do we do now//

Jack :

I`m also on EST and of ten work during the evening so you can send me a message tonight and there is a very good chance that I will reply shortly, otherwise it would be tomorrow morning at about this time.

Customer:

So what do we do now??? I have no way to know if we have been successful or not.

Jack :

I`m also on EST and often work during the evening so you can send me a message tonight and there is a very good chance that I will reply shortly, otherwise it would be tomorrow morning at about this time.

Just make sure the cocast box is set to english

Jack :

Comcast box

Customer:

chat with you tonight. how do i get back to you////

Jack :

Just log back in here and go to the tab above that says "my questions" , click on it and you will see this post

Customer:

until later,thanks

Jack :

Much welcome and later , otherwise if everything is working normally , you can just rate my answer.
It won`t closed this post and you will be able to reach me here at any time after

Customer:

will do

Jack :

Sorry for the typo`s , much better with a solder iron than a keyboard :)