Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

When I turn on my 42 inch LG flat screen TV the green light

When I turn on my 42 inch LG flat screen TV the green light on the front blinks 14 times and stays on but my TV does not come on and I can not get it to come so there fore I can not watch television, any ideas what might have gone wrong?
How long have you had the set for and when did the problem occur?

Was is after a storm or power outage?

Are there any pauses between the blinks?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have had the set for 3 or 4 years I think I am not really sure and it was used when I bought it.

No there was no storm before this began, it originally started around a year ago I think, at first it was just slow coming on when I turned it on but as time passed it got REALLY slow about coming on to the point we were afraid it was not goint to come on and we started just leaving it on 24/7 because when it was turned off it would be a day or 2 or 3 or who knows until it came back on.

Well this last time has been a couple weeks ago it got turned off accidentally and has not come back on yet and we do not have a TV repairman in our small town.

Thank you for the reply. I know what the problem is that you are having, and it definitely requires component replacement within the TV. Are you planning on removing the back of the TV and doing this yourself?

Or are you looking for a diagnosis and repair estimate?
Do you require assistance with this problem?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just sent off a reply to your statement about knowing what my problem is but you did not tell me what my problem is you just asked me if I planned on removing the back of my TV and doing the work myself. But I don't know what the problem is yet.

I did not get the last reply, sorry about that.

There is a failure on the power supply board inside the TV. Commonly the capacitors on this board will receive a surge and then fail. They can sometimes be visually verified by removing the rear of the set and inspecting them for bulges or leaking fluid at the top or the base of the caps. This is the most common mode of failure for these sets. The problem could also be a cracked solder joint, or failed IC regulator, in which case it would be more cost effective to replace the board itself. If you are looking to have this repaired by a shop, then the cost would be around $300 parts and labor.

If you'd like, you can use the link below to locate a technician in your area:

If you'd like to replace the board yourself, you're looking at closer to $120 for the board, which is a plug and play device. You would only need a screwdriver and about a half an hour of your time to replace this. The link below is to the Power Supply Board for your TV:

If you need further assistance, let me know.

If not, please do not forget to rate my answer.

Do you need further assistance with this question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I rated your service as excellent. I do not have any more questions I am just trying to get the money together to buy the part and I will fix the TV myself.

Thank you for your help and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

You're very welcome and Merry Christmas to you and yours as well~!