Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

trying to get pandora to work on my new LG Smart Tv. Need help

trying to get pandora to work on my new LG Smart Tv. Need help please.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

p0llinate :

Hello, and welcome to justanswer, a pay site for expert technical help. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today. This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. When we are finished, you’ll rate my answer to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer. My goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

p0llinate :

Are you saying you're using the built in browser to go to pandora.com on the tv?

p0llinate :

If so, this won't work.

p0llinate :

The browser is there for basic web surfing, but it doesn't support most active content (streaming, video, flash, etc)

p0llinate :

You need to use a specific pandora app for the tv for this to work.

p0llinate :

If you don't see a pandora app on the tv already, it may not support this function.

p0llinate :

Or you may need to update the firmware on your tv to add the function if you believe it should be there.

Customer:

I am using the browser to go to pandora.com so that could be the issue. My question there would be: why do other audio/ video sites work that I visited when going to the built in browser. I went to youtube.com on the browser as well as watched a live stream of a drag race this weekend and both i rec'd audio and picture fine using the built in browser.

p0llinate :

It really just depends on the site and the technology/format they use for their streaming content.

p0llinate :

Pandora usually wants to work with a dedicated player/app, it's not streaming right out of the browser, or if it is the tv isn't recognizing the plug in used to do it.

Customer:

And the second part to this question is how do I update my 'firmware' to add the function to my TV and is this (pandora option app) even possible on this tv. According to the vendor it is. If it helps you at all the TV Model is LG 55 LM7600. Any furhter help would be appreciated.

p0llinate :

Generally, the tv should prompt you automatically if it detects an update available, and install on it's own.

p0llinate :

You can also check manually, you should be able to go into the tv'

p0llinate :

s set up menu, usually under network or advanced, and look for Update or Firmware

p0llinate :

Then you can tell it to check for and install any available updates.

Customer:

OK I will do that. Can you find out if the pandora app is available for this model tv LG 55 LM7600?

p0llinate :

Sure

p0llinate :

As of last firmware update it does not support pandora or amazon video, so I would expect those in future updates as they are very popular features.

p0llinate :

But for now, you'll just have to wait unfortunately, or connect an external device that can pick up pandora (roku, google tv, etc)

Customer:

Ok I can connect my ipod to it. I tried last night and couldn't seem to get it to play out of the tv or the bose speaker system. My last question (and if you can help me achieve this case closed :). I have the this LG model we spoke about and also the bose Cinemate 1SR currently connected to the TV. What is the simplest (and best audio) way I can connect my ipod or computer (streaming pandora) to the Bose Cinemate 1SR (http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/home_theater/simplified_home_theater/cinemate_1_sr/index.jsp) speaker system?

Customer:

At this point i would mainly need to connect it to the Bose Cinemate 1SR and not to the TV.

p0llinate :

Sorry for the delay, I didn't see your last responses come up, it showed you had left the chat for some reason.

p0llinate :

You really only have one connection option to the bose from the ipod (or computer) which is the stereo input.

p0llinate :

This is the red/white rca ports on the bose, you'd use a minijack to stereo adapter or cable, plugged into the headphone jack on the ipod or computer.

p0llinate :

Here is an example: Mediabridge - 3.5mm Male To (2) RCA Stereo Audio Cable - (6 Feet) (click for link)

p0llinate :

Typically you want to set the volume on the ipod at about 75-80%, and then adjust the final volume through the bose.

p0llinate :

Remember you need to change the input mode on the bose, using the bose remote to set it to the audio/aux input to pick up the signal from the ipod.

Customer:

Thats great info. By changing the input on the bose, would that make it so the bose will not play the tv sound at the same time as the ipod sound? Or do I have to do something further to make it so I dont hear the TV when listening to ipod music through the bose?

p0llinate :

You're correct, it will only run 1 input at a time, so you'll choose between opt1, opt2, and stereo/aux.

p0llinate :

Unless you have the tv sound coming through the tv speakers at the same time, you'd hear only one or the other out of the bose system.

Customer:

Understood. Ok so you are saying if I set the bose settings via remote to stereo/ aux then the music (and only the music) will come out of the bose speakers and nothing else.

p0llinate :

That is correct.

p0llinate :

And then you'd set it back to TV (opt1 or optical2) to get back to tv sound.

Customer:

OK just looked on the back of the Bose. It has one area labeled "TV input" that has under it 4 inputs 1- optical 2-coaxil (orange) 3- R (red) and 4 L (white). Then spaced away from that it has an area labeled Aux with one Aux labeled optical and the second labeled Coax. Wanted to be sure exactly where to hook it and how many prongs I need to plug into the Bose so i can get the proper cable. Thanks for your patience as this is all new to me.

p0llinate :

What do you currently have connected to the tv?

Customer:

I have it connected to the 'Optical' under the TV input section/

p0llinate :

Ok.

p0llinate :

We will need to move that.

p0llinate :

Since this system only has one of the aux inputs, which you need for the ipod, and you can't use both aux and optical under tv.

p0llinate :

So take the optical plug from the tv and move it over to the other optical port.

p0llinate :

Then connect the ipod to the red/white jacks under tv.

p0llinate :

Now when you do this, your input modes (that you select with the bose) are going to be backwards, so you'll have to remember that.

p0llinate :

When you pick tv mode on the bose remote, you're going to get the ipod, and when you pick aux you're going to get the tv.

p0llinate :

But that's really the only way to hook it up, so it's a bit inconvenient to keep track of, but at least everything will work.

Customer:

Ok we are getting there but still frustrating a bit. Went through the bose manual to try to figure it out a bit. I was able to connect the ipod to the Tv input section and get music so we are good there. I am now trying to switch it back to getting the tv sound to the bose speakers and can't seem to do it. I was able to program the Bose remote to turn the tv power on and off using the AUX power button on the Bose remote (hope that's correct bc the tv is now connected to the Bose via the Aux optical section?) but can't seem to get the tv sound to come out of the bose speakers...

Customer:

when I say ipod to the TV section, i connected it the way you said.. To the Bose TV input section (to the red and white plugs in this section)

Customer:

that is fine, now not getting any tv sound out of the bose when I tried to switch back

p0llinate :

Have you pressed the input button on the bose remote? You need to set the bose to the other input (opt 2) to pick up the tv sound.

Customer:

i cannot seem to get to any 'input' menu to select specific inputs for the bose. I programmed the remote to control the TV off the 'Aux' button of the remote but apparently that has nothing to do with controlling the sound of tv going to bose.

Customer:

So apparently I need to specifically figure out how to 'set the bose to other input' which for some reason I can't figure out. I cannot get any menu's up on the tv from the bose remote (not sure if that's the route I am supposed to take.

p0llinate :

The bose will not generate an on screen menu, so you aren't missing anything, there is nothing to miss there.

p0llinate :

On the bose remote, along the top row, are buttons for tv, dvd, aux, etc.

p0llinate :

Try pressing each of those once (wait a bit between each) to see if that brings up the sound for the ipod and tv

Customer:

I talked to Bose. They said you cannot switch from the TV input back and forth to the aux input. So I think we are out of luck there. They also said the TV will not provide sound out of the bose if hooked to the aux optical input. So it looks like from experimenting a bit my best option is to hook the tv to the optical (under the tv input section) and also hook the ipod up to the tv input section to the red/ white inputs. Only drawback looks like I can't play the ipod music and still have the tv picture on bc the tv overrides the ipod music. I would have to disconnect the tv optical cord to achieve this. Unless you have any other suggestions. Otherwise it's ok the only thing I am afraid of is if I continue to disconnect and connect the tv optical cord it may break so I wonder if they is such thing as a quick disconnect for the tv optical cord?

Customer:

let me know your overall thoughts.

p0llinate :

Actually what you've described really is the only option here, unfortunately.

p0llinate :

It seems to just be a limitation of the bose system, which is too bad because it's a pretty big inconvenience for the consumer to have to operate it this way.

p0llinate :

Unless you can get the tv to pick up the ipod audio on one of it's aux inputs and pass it through optical to the bose.

p0llinate :

But even then, you'd have to run the tv to listen to music, and you'd have a black screen up the whole time which is bad for the tv.

Customer:

ok I appreciate you help and I will close up and give you positive rating. Thank you

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.