Anthony F.
Anthony F., Owner of TV Service Center
Experience:  20+ yrs. of experience in TV repair, TV production and engineering as owner of TV service center.
34633555

Sony Bravia muddy faded washed out picture with speckles.

I have a 40 inch Bravia 3 years old. Suddenly the picture became muddy, washed out and blurry. The colors look like a 16 color monitor 30 years ago. I tried it with a DVD player and an analog cable converter with the same results.  This problem is progressively getting worse, the colors all look like pastels with speckles.  Fix it or toss it?

Anthony's TV :

Hello JA Customer I have been fixing Tv and Electronics since I was 5 years old With better than 20 years experience and 17 years in business Toss it you most likely have a bad lcd display

Anthony's TV :

you could try to reseat the lvds cable if that dont do it toss it they are known for bad panals

Customer:

Would a bad panel show the same effect over the entire screen? I don't think it is a cable connection since the problem is slowly getting worse. It gets more faded as time goes on. I have no fear with digging into it I am an electronics engineer in analog and digital design. And in my early years also did tv repair with my father. Do you know if service manuals are available?

Anthony's TV :

Can you take a pix of the issue and upload it?

Anthony's TV :

go ahead open it reseat the connectors on the tcon board

Customer:

OK I will take a picture, it will take a few minutes.

Anthony's TV :

ok

Customer:

OK I got a few pictures after searching for the download cable. But I don't see a way to upload them. I will keep looking

Anthony's TV :

use the tree icon

Customer:

Anthony, I uploaded some pictures last night but I do not see them this morning, maybe you see them. I have one more symptom, the problem appears to be temperature/time sensitive. I don't watch a lot of tv but I left it on last night for about 5 hours. As time went on the image became more and ore faded, much like turning the contrast lower. It got to the point where images were appearing in negative and color was almost gone.

Anthony's TV :

I dont see any pictures but from what you describe try the tcon board

Anthony's TV :

and hope that fixes it

Customer:

Here are a couple of pictures.

Customer:

I turned it on this morning after being off all night and the picture looked almost normal. I suspect that it is temperature related.

Anthony's TV :

try using a service like imgur or photobucket the pict ability on this site sucks

Customer:

OK I can do that. I need to attend to some business, I will be back in about 1 hour.

Customer:

Anthony, KDL40Z4100.imgur.com password XXXXX XXXXX Gotta go.

Anthony's TV :

you need to set it public and copy and paste the link

Customer:

They are public. http://kdl40z4100.imgur.com

Anthony's TV :

saw the pictures this reinforces what I said earlier

Anthony's TV :

try the tcon if not forget the tv

Anthony's TV :

Thanks for using JA

Anthony's TV :

Please RATE your expereince and have a great day

Customer:

I have one more question for you, what is the tcon?