Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

No audio when I play netflix on my panasonic home theater

Customer Question

I have no audio when I play netflix on my panasonic home theater and Plasma TV. Everything (home theater, tv, PVR) is hooked up using two HDMI cables
Category: TV
Expert:  Steve G. replied 4 years ago.

Hi. I'm Steve. I'm sorry to hear about your TV. I will try my best to give you a precise and accurate answer.

Which component are you using to stream Netflix? The TV or the Home Theater?

How is the TV connected to the Home Theater. Please be as detailed as you can.

Thanks

Steve

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My home theater is hooked up to the tv using a HDMI cable in the HDMI (arc) spot on the back of tv.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 4 years ago.

Ok, does the HT have ARC capability? You don't also have an optical cable between the two?

Look on the back for the ARC label on the HDMI output of the HT and let me know while I grab the manual.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I actually just had to leave the house and won't be back until Friday night, so I'm not in front of the tv. I'm assuming the HT has arc capability as it was working fine up until yesterday. I don't have an optical cable hooked up
Expert:  Steve G. replied 4 years ago.

Ok. It sounds like that is the case.

The only other way that would work is if you have the cable box's audio connected to the HT and not to the the TV. Does the cable box go through the HT?

If you can verify that, I'll try and figure it out.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If I remember correctly, I have an HDMI cable from tv to cable box (pvr) and another HDMI cable going from cable box to HT
Expert:  Steve G. replied 4 years ago.
Ok, are you using the actual TV to stream Netflix? In other words, which component is WiFi'd to your router?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm using my TV's built in wifi. The actual wifi modem is upstairs not near the TV, but I get a good signal and have no issues connecting to the internet, just no audio
Expert:  Steve G. replied 4 years ago.

Ok. So the issue is that audio generated by the TV itself is not making it to the HT.

It does appear that the HT has ARC. We need to figure out why the Netflix audio is not using it.

When will you be home so that we can verify the wiring method?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I won't be home until around 10pm friday night. Will I be able to contact you then or Saturday?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 4 years ago.

I am online at the weekends. I am alerted by email when you reply (just like you are) so hold off on a reply until you are ready to continue.

Regards

Steve