Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

I have a Sansui model HDLCD1955B that has a black screen &

Customer Question

I have a Sansui model HDLCD1955B that has a black screen & no sound. The pwer light turns to green and then just for a second the uppper right hand screen shows the input type then black. No functions work on the TV or remote. Is it shot?
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm sorry to hear about your TV.

Let's try a couple things so we can narrow this down. Make the room as dark as possible, and turn the TV on. Though the screen is black, can you see a faint glow coming from it, like the backlight is working? It might appear to be glowing slightly… dark gray.

Best,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The best I can describe it...there appears to be a half screen of noticeable difference when the power is switched on and off. It only appears to go from black to dark, dark gray.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Only half the screen is changing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That appears to be the case when the TV power is first turned on. When the power is turned off the bottm 3rd of the screen shows a difinitive line with the somewhat lighter contrast. Then it goes to all black.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

Ok, thank you. Good description. Is this something you plan to repair yourself (I can help), or do you need a diagnosis and cost on repair?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dan, I checked it out when I got home last night and here is exactly what it does: Tuned power on and after 5 seconds the entire screen lit up to a dark, dark gray and in the upper right hand corner displayed the input type in a small blue box. This all lasts about a second & then the screen goes black. In addition to the input display there were times when the lower left part of the screen displayed the input options when the power was turned on. Not always tho and this only lasted a second & then black.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Ok, is this something you plan to repair yourself? Or do you need a diagnosis and cost on professional repair?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If I have assistance isolating the defective component and providing I can get a replacement part I could probably do it myself. If not I guess I'd like your diagnosis and repair estimate.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
The first thing we need to do is disconnect the power cord from the wall, and let the TV sit for 5 minutes. Now, lay the TV face down on a flat surface that has been lined with a blanket.

Now, remove the TV's pedestal stand, and also the rear panel (lots of screws... be careful where you put them).

Now find the power supply board. It'll be the first large board you find if you trace the AC power receptacle into the TV. Have a good close look at the board, paying particularly close attention to the capacitors.

Are any of them even slightly puffy on top, like the ones in the picture below (red arrows)? A good capacitor will be completely flat on top... almost concave. Any puffiness/convexity at all, I need to know about it.

Note, this is not a picture of your TV... just an example of puffy capacitors.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks a million Dan! I will check into it when I get off work tonight. Will this file still be open if I get back to you tomorrow?

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it will remain open. Get back to me with the results. You may or may not find puffy capacitors. Get back to me, either way.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good morning Dan, Here is what I saw on the power supply board.

The largest capacitor on the board (200V/150 uf) is definitely puffy on top. The location of this capacitor is C502 on board #CEH434A.

Could this be the culprit ?

The rest of the capacitors look to be completely flat on top.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

Yes, there's a very good chance that's our culprit. We won't know for sure until it has been replaced. It's not uncommon for a failing capacitor to weaken other onboard components. Because of that, I think it's best if we replace the whole power supply board. Replacing the capacitor would be less expensive, but replacing the board is a much more surefire repair.

So that's what I would do at this point... replace the board. It's not awfully expensive.

Your TV used a couple different versions, so be sure to get the part number from the board itself before you look for a replacement. That way, you can be sure you're ordering the right one. I've listed some suppliers, below.

New parts
encompassparts.com
searspartsdirect.com
partstore.com
pacparts.com

Refurbished parts
moduslinkptstvboards.com
tristatemodule.com

Used parts
shopjimmy.com
eBay.com

If you need any clarification or have more questions for me, click "reply to expert" and let me know. If you're finished, please click the smiley face that best represents the service I've provided. If the system won't let you click a smiley face, please let me know because without your rating, I'm not compensated for my time here. Rating me will not close your question (you can get back to me, if you need to).

Best,

Experience: USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dan. I recieved the new board and just installed it last night. Apparently that was not the problem as it does the same thing as before. Minute as it may be, I noticed there were 2 of the stainless spacers/heat diffusers missing from the power board. The screws to secure the board to the housing were there but there were no stainless spacers there. There were two of these located at the bottom of the board. When I looked at the marks on the back of the screen it appears as though there were not any there to begin with as there was no marks indicating they were there. The other stainless clips on both boards left a tell tale sign of their locations. So what's next????
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

Turn the TV on. Then hold a flashlight very close to the screen and look for faint images, shadows, or movement of what should be displayed on the screen. You can try to bring up the TV menu, too... so you'll know what to look for. Can you see anything?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'll have to do this when I get home tonight. I will let you know the results on Thursday. The only button for functions on the side of the set that work appears to be the power button. I have tried to change the input selection on both the set and the remote without much luck. The one second blip that appears in a blue box in the upper right hand corner of the screen displays PC.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Ok, no rush. Get back to me when you can.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good morning Dan, no image, shadow or movement on the screen with the flashlight....time for the round file???

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
You may have a bad LCD panel (the screen itself) but I would consider replacing the main board before calling the panel bad. Hard to say for sure based on the symptoms you're seeing.

But as you alluded to, this TV isn't worth a ton nowadays and might not be worth investing further dollars into. Your call.

Best,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think we'll just cut our loses and get out of this headache.

Thanks.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

I understand, and you're welcome!

Best,