Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Is there a reset button for Vizio XVT553SV television? We

Is there a reset button for Vizio XVT553SV television? We have our tv/electronics on a surge protector. However, since a storm came through and power flashed off/on a few days ago, the tv does not come on. The Vizio "light" flashes under the screen, then it shuts back off. We have confirmed all other components (cable box, stereo, etc) are still operational.
Thank you,
Anna

p0llinate :

Hello, and welcome to justanswer, a pay site for expert technical help. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today. This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. When we are finished, you’ll rate my answer to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer. My goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_______________________

Customer:

ok

p0llinate :

Unfortunately, the symptoms you are experiencing (flashing vizio light, tv won’t power on) are generally symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, typically a faulty power supply or main board (the 2 most common failure points). There is not a "reset button" or a quick/simple fix for this, I'm sorry to say. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is most often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc). The power supply is often susceptible to damage, as manufacturers have cut back on, often outsourcing this part, to keep costs down. This can happen even on a surge protector, if the surge voltage is lower or higher than the threshold for the surge protector, or it doesn't clamp down quickly enough.

In most cases, there isn’t much you can do, in the case of a hardware defect. One thing you may try is unplugging power to the tv for a prolonged period (at least 4 hours, preferably overnight). When you plug it back in, be sure to plug directly into the wall outlet, bypassing any surge protectors or power strips. This may be sufficient to reset the tv, if it does not help, this tends to confirm a hardware fault. At this point, the tv would require repairs. This is unfortunately an expensive fix in most cases. If you’re still under warranty (1 year for most models) it would certainly be covered, however for older models you’ll be on your own for repairs. On average, replacing a power supply or main board will run you around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. If you’d like to give me your zip code, I can help you locate the authorized shop nearest you, or if you prefer (as is a more practical investment in some cases) I can recommend a replacement model for you.

p0llinate :

Since this is a 2010 model, I assume you're past the warranty period.

Customer:

i appreciate the input. we lef tit unplugged overnight - no luck. so must be a defect / hardware issue. we already know of a repair place close by, so we will take it there. just wanted to see if maybe there was a reset button or another option we had not tried first.

Customer:

you are correct that we are past warranty

Customer:

thank you for your help and information