Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.

Mitsubishi DLP Model WD-60737: I get sound, but no image. Its

Mitsubishi DLP Model WD-60737: I get sound, but no image. It's a black screen. I've followed the reset instructions a few times, but it does not seem to work. It's got a red light on until I try turning it on. It flashes green and then it eventually turns back to red. I've already replaced the lamp a few months ago. It was a lamp purchased from the manufacturer.
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X'm sorry to hear about your TV.

While the light is flashing green, you should hear the TV trying to turn on. You'll know it when you hear it. It sounds like a very faint series of clicks.

Do you hear it trying? It should try to turn on a few times, then eventually give up and flash that red light.

Best,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I actually get sound. I do hear a click when it turns on. If I did not mess up changing the channel and throwing off my satellite set-up, I would be able to hear the intended channel.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Right, I know you have sound.

The particular sound I was referring to, was the sound of the lamp ballast firing... trying to light the lamp.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I held the power button down for 10 seconds and only heard one click when it turned on. I have not noticed any further clicking sounds.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hi George,

Two quick tests...

1. Turn the TV on, and grab the original Mitsubishi remote. Press the MENU button. Does the menu show up?

2. If the menu doesn't show up, make the room as dark as you can and look into the back of the TV (where the lamp goes). Can you see the lamp shining bright?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1. Menu does not show up.

2. I do not see the lamp shining at all. Although I just replaced this lamp with a manufacturer provided part(1 or 2 moths ago), it appears that I might need to replace the lamp - is that correct?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hi George,

Yes, that's possible. But we could be looking a bad ballast, which is very common on this model. The ballast is the lamp's power supply.

Do you want to get inside the TV to do some troubleshooting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is the ballast hard to replace for a novice repair man?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Nah. Piece of cake. I can give you directions, but we should do a little troubleshooting first so we aren't wasting money.

The first thing we need to do is remove the TV's lower back panel... the whole thing. It's lined with screws, so have a cup nearby.

Removing the panel:
graphic

Now, standing behind the TV you'll see the electrical chassis on the left and the light engine on the right. The ballast is on the light engine.

Have a look at this next picture. I outlined the ballast in red.

See the little switch I outlined in blue? You'll need to tape that down, so the TV thinks the lamp door is installed.

With that switch taped down, look closely at the ballast (don't get too close) as you press the TV's power button.

You should see a small blue flame/spark on the ballast.

Do you see it?

graphic
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
That's a lot of information, so I'll let you digest that for a bit. I'm logging off for the evening, but I'll be back on tomorrow. Go ahead and respond if you'd like, and I'll see it was soon as I return.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I noticed you are logging off til tomorrow. I will try to look at this before tomorrow.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Ok great. Let me know when the test is complete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I took the back cover off, but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to tape the switch down. I do not see anything obvious that would need to be held in place with tape.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hi George,

The switch is held down by the lamp door, under normal circumstances. Since we have the lamp door removed, we need to hold the switch down so the TV thinks the lamp door is installed. How you go about it doesn't really matter. Tape is fine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I pushed the little blue piece inward with a piece of tape and was able to start the tv. I did not observe any spark coming from the ballast board.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
You're not dense. Sometimes it's tough to explain things over the Internet.

Grab the lamp door, and have a close look. There's a little tab on the door itself, that will push on the switch when the door is installed. Try holding the door up to the area, so you can get a better idea of how the switch is supposed to engage.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX was able to start up the tv by using tape to push the little blue tab inward. The back panel of the tv has a plastic tab that would push it inward when it's on the tv. I think I got that part. I did not see any blue spark coming from the ballast board.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hi George,

But the TV is receiving power, right? Do the fans spin when you press the power button?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not see any fan spinning.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hi George,

With that little switch taped, pressing the power button should yield some signs of life inside the TV. Are you not getting any signs of life at all? Look, listen, feel, etc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I hear sound from the tv (static) (It's not on the correct channel to get the satellite signal anymore - kids). I do not see the rear fan working at all. I can't hear any other fan operating (Sirocco or the exhaust fan) and not hearing any other noise that would give an indication that something else is operating. There appears to be no heat being generated, either.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
But there's sound coming from the speakers?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

right.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a voltmeter? We need to make a couple measurements at this point.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no. I do not. Is the volt meter for the power receptacle to measure whether it's coming out at a sufficient voltage? How would you use it on the tv?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hi George,

We need to see if the power supply board (not the power receptacle) is sending 300VDC to the ballast when you press the power button. Sounds like you might have something bigger going on, that we initially expected.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dan. I agree that it appears to be something bigger than just the ballast. At this point, I'm not sure how you can help me through internet correspondence. I may just have to call an authorized technician to come in and look at it. I've found a number of google search entries where people have had problems with this tv make and model as well as similar models. It appears that the most common problems are lamp, ballast, power supply and sometimes software. is there anything else you think you can help with at this point?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hi George,

I wouldn't trust Google with finding a technician (even if that's how you found me, LOL). What's your zip code?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

60707 is the zip code. Google turned up a number of discussion forums that list complaints about this tv. If you have a list of reputable repair companies, I would greatly appreciate that information. Yellow pages.com tuned up a few. One of the nearest companies is Amlin TV Service in Norridge, IL. I also sent Mitsubishi an email for a list of authorized technicians in my area. Not sure whether they will respond.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Yes, Mitsubishi has really had their hands full with this chassis. Lots of problems. You might consider calling Mitsubishi directly. Their number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN

If they won't help or if you decide to bypass them altogether, there are a few Mitsubishi authorized servicers around you.

Electronic Engineers, Inc can be reached at(NNN) NNN-NNNN

TV Repair Experts can be reached at(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Experience: USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your help, Dan

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in. Did you decide to have it repaired?

Best,