TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

The sound suddenly went out on my Sony Bravia TV. What the

The sound suddenly went out on my Sony Bravia TV. What the heck? The picture is still clear, but no sound on any channel.
Category: TV
Expert:  Joe replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for using justanswer.com, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you with your concern today.

Do you use the tv speakers for sound or an external home audio system?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The TV speakers is what I use for sound
Expert:  Joe replied 2 years ago.

Do you have more then 1 device connected to the tv?

For instance a dvd player and a cable box?

If so, do both have this same problem on the tv or only 1 source?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I only have a cable box hooked to my television. Nothing else.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
no answer
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Let's do a quick test.

Turn on your TV set, and turn the volume all the way up. Do you hear a hissing sound coming from your TV speakers or even a little sound from your cable box?

If not, let me know. Turn down your volume to a normal level after that test.

Next, go to your TV's menu, access the Audio section of your menu, and see if your Audio output is set to SPEAKER ON, and not RECIEVER ON.

If you had any storms recently, let me know that too.

Now, did your sound QUIT right in the middle of a TV program, or did it quit when you just turned your TV on?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No hissing sound. Moving onto the next part of your instructions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Went to the audio part of menu. Speakers are on. I'm in LA. No recent storms at all. I was watching television last night, turned the channel and then the sound went off. Thought it was just that channel, kept turning and the sound never returned.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

It takes me a little time to write the next step. You may want to give me a 30 minute time slot to respond back. I do a lot of thinking. Here is your NEXT STEP ---

Let's make sure you didn't scramble an HDMI connection between the Cable box and TV set. That's the next test.

Let's see.....we COULD use your TV's model number, that would help.....

But for now, let's do a reset on your HDMI if you are connected using that.

Get your Sony TV remote. Press and HOLD the UP ARROW on the remote, keeping it pointed to your TV....and then you need to Press and Release the Power button ON THE TV.

That resets the TV.

Once it shuts down, and restarts the TV, Turn the TV off.

UNPLUG the power cords on your TV and your Cable box. Disconnect the HDMI cable.

WAIT 5 MINUTES, then plug only the power cords back in, and turn the cable and TV back on.

Now, wait ONE more minute, and then plug your HDMI cable back in.

You should have picture and sound back if you do that. If not....Let me know if your Cable box is a PACE or MOTOROLA (printed on the front faceplate of the cable box)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know what the HDMI cable is
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know what the HDMI cable is

My Sony remote doesn't work. Only the cable remote works.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Is your Sony remote control completely DEAD?

An HDMI cable looks like this --

Let's try this.

Unplug the TV and Cable box's Power cords.

Unplug the HDMI cable connecting the two units.

Wait 5 minutes, plug ONLY the power cords back in and turn the TV and CABLE box on.

.

Wait one more minute, then plug the HDMI cable back in and see if you get picture and sound again.

If not, what is the model number of your TV set? KDLxxxxxxx???

Is your Cable box a PACE or Motorola brand? You should find that on the front faceplate of your Cable box.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That took a long time and...IT WORKED. Thank you. What do I do now to pay?
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

I'll press the ANSWER button on my end, and if you have the Smiley Bar, you select the Smileys and not the Frownys.

Or you press ACCEPT.

Glad it worked, I was concerned we wouldn't be able to do anything without the TV remote working.

TV Tech1, Technician
Experience: 30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.