TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

How to fix vertical lines on Samsung Plasma TV?

Customer Question

Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Activate your TV's menu and see if the lines intersect the menu. If they do, does it look like the lines are on top of the menu, or the menu is on top of the lines?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
After looking at the menu, lines are on top of the menu.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Ok, we are down to the Plasma panel or the video buffers on the panel are bad. These lines, are they always lit, or do they flicker, change colors, or disappear at all?

Do they shift places at all?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, they are always lit and there's 7 of them and they have gradually increased in number. Initially there were 3-4 of these lines, all vertical. And they do not disappear or change their location. I'm not sure if they change colors but I will observe closely again today and let you know.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

The colors may change if different colors pass by the lines, that's usually when I see them change.

Another important thing to know is if the lines only go partially down the screen, or if they completely go from the top to the bottom. Permanent non-changing lines usually point to the panel, but changing lines point to a bad buffer.

If you had a digital camera, I would love to see a picture of your TV screen showing the lines. A picture helps verify a lot better than us describing it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

I was able to get a picture of the TV screen and sending it. The lines seem to completely go from top to bottom and the number of lines has increased over time and some of them do change locations so they are not completely permanent and the number keeps increasing. I haven't turned this TV on for some time and now there are more than 10 lines as you can see. I also notice that they are of different colours, red/pink, green, blue. Hope this information helps in diagnosis. Thanks.

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Ok, since the lines move and are slowly increasing over the entire screen, it's most likely your E and F buffers are bad.

If they were stationary and non-moving, that would have been the plasma panel.

The part numbers are

E Buffer -- BN96-06762A

F Buffer -- BN96-06763A

Best price is here --

http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-bn96-06762a-e-buffer-board.htm

http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-lj41-05080a-lb-f-buffer.htm

To replace these boards, there is a bunch of ribbon cable connectors that you have to flip the latch on, pull out the ribbon cable, insert into the new board SQUARELY, not tilted or partially inserted.

I usually start at one end of the new board and install one at a time, visually inspecting for square and fully inserted before I lock the flap down.

Then I screw the boards back in, and finish with the top ribbon cable.

Once that's done, I reconnect the boards so I can fire up the TV set and I look for one inch-2 inch bands on the screen to see if any of the ribbon connectors right below the black or snowy bands need readjustment/squaring up before reinstalling the back cover.

The menu is a good test and so is a DVD player since it's really portable.

Once the picture has been checked you can finish putting the back on.

Now, I have disassembly instruction for the model that came out just before yours did.

Most plasmas are built the same except for changes on the main board, like extra inputs and faster processors, so this picture will help get you where you need to be on your TV set --

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

If you have any questions taking apart your TV set, take a picture of the open cabinet and I'll walk you thru it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks. That's good news. I have ordered the parts. Walking me through disassembling the TV would be appreciated. I will send a picture of the open cabinet. Parts should be here in 2-3 days.

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Ok, I'll do that for you. There really shouldn't be any major differences in your TV and the A400 series that came out a little earlier than yours did, but there might be a mounting plate for the stand that's different, or maybe the main board is located slightly different, so you have to remove the main board screws and unplug one or two plugs to gain access to the buffer boards, but that's the only real differences I have seen between models.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The information and instruction you provided earlier were useful and using that I was able to replace the buffers relatively easily. I have replaced the 2 buffer boards but unfortunately the lines are still there so a bit disappointed by that. It looks like the buffers didn't need to be replaced. Could it be something else besides the panel? I have heard of some capacitor or power supply issues on samsung tvs as well.

Thanks.

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

I have heard of some capacitor or power supply issues on samsung tvs as well.

Yeah, there are some issues, but that's on the LCD TV sets, not the plasmas.

I honestly didn't want to hear you say that the buffers didn't fix the lines. You HOPE the buffers fix it, but unfortunately if they don't, the only thing left that can create lines on the plasma screen is the plasma panel itself.

Looking at the price and availability --

http://www.encompassparts.com/item/7792546/Samsung/BN96-06642A/Assy_Pdp_Module_P

Most of the panels are running $600 to $750 range, and it looks like a lot of them are on National Backorder right now.

National Backorders usually take up to 6 weeks to get the part in because there are none in stock in the USA or Canada.

And there are about 6 different panels for the entire PN42A450P1D line --

http://www.samsungparts.com/ModelList.aspx?Catalog=Parts_and_Accessories&model=PN42A450P1D

So right now I think I better ask you if you want to replace that panel or not.

Reply back to me and let me know, ok?