TVGURU, Technician
Experience:  15+ yrs in Consumer Electronics, Telecommunications, Computer, Voice & Data Industry

I have a 5 year old Tivo HD which I have always connected with

I have a 5 year old Tivo HD which I have always connected with component cables. I have a new Sony TV which gives integrated control and higher resolution if I use the HDMI connection. I tried this but find the HDMI output from the Tivo is dead. Is this repairable for a reasonable cost? I have Tivo lifetime on this unit and do not want to give it up
Hi there and thank you for using JA. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to assist you.

I can tell you that you are not alone with this issue, many Tivo forums have been written about this unexplainable error with Tivos. Most agree its probably a HDCP conflict. Before you rip your hair out lets try the basics. Unplug all HDMI cables and electrical power to all pieces of hardware that are involved with the HDMI cable, in this case the TV and the Tivo. If you are using a receiver in between or any HDMI switchers, unplug those too. Wait a minute or so and plug them HDMI cables in first before you power anything back up. This could be a simple HDCP handshake issue if you are lucky. If that doesn't work, try different formats on your Tivo or on you TV. Perhaps your Tivo is only good for 1080i or 720p and your "brand new" TV is set to 1080p, not going to play nice together. I'd also like to note, I read a lot of clips that seem to involve Sony TVs more than others. Not sure if there is some funky hardware conflict with them but thought it was worth noting. Lastly, if that does not work you can contact Tivo, click here and set up a repair. Stay persistent with them and demand they repair the device. With any luck you may get somewhere. There is no denying this is a real issue with their hardware and if they dispute that, tell them to look at their own Tivo forums. I know this is not the silver bullet answer you were looking for but this issue has plagued many over the last few years. Keep me posted.

If there is anything further I can do to assist please let me know. Please leave positive feedback and bonuses are also greatly appreciated. Thank you again for using JA and have a great day. Michael, CT USA