TVGURU
TVGURU, Technician
Experience:  15+ yrs in Consumer Electronics, Telecommunications, Computer, Voice & Data Industry
36856233

i have a Roku player with the Sony DAV- HDX285 HOME THEATER SYSTEM and Samsung LED TV I am

i have a Roku player with the Sony DAV- HDX285 HOME THEATER SYSTEM and Samsung LED TV I am having problems with getting the surround sound to operate on tv . any ideals.
Category: TV
Expert:  TVGURU replied 2 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for using JA. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to assist you.

1. Is this all new equipment or was it working at one time?
  2. What model Roku player are you using?
I'm assuming when you play a normal studio created DVD the surround system works fine, but please correct me if I am wrong. Thank you, Michael.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi.

Yes , the system was working and ---------------------------------------------

its the Roku 2 xs and your correct, when using DVD the system works.

Expert:  TVGURU replied 2 years ago.
How old is the Roku? How did you have the Roku connected when it was working? Was the Roku connected to the TV using HDMI? Is your TV connected to the Sony HTS using an audio optical cable?

Thank you, Mike
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Roku is new and its connected to TV with HDMI cable . Its in working order. I do have a yellow audio cable running from Sony to TV.
Expert:  TVGURU replied 2 years ago.
Here is your issue, your connecting the HDMI cable from your Roku directly to your TV. This is great for audio and video but you are not passing the digital surround signal back to your Sony HTS from your Roku digitally.

Quick side caveat, a yellow single RCA connector is usually used for a lowest grade video connection in the world of AV setup. This is referred to as a composite connection and if used correctly will have no bearing on the outcome of the audio.

Since the Roku does not have an optical output on the back of the Roku, then you will need to tell me your model number of your TV and I can see if you can hook this up another way. What I am hoping is this; leave your Roku plugged directly into the TV and then run an optical cable from your TV back to the Sony HTS optical input. Basically your TV will route the digital signal back to the Sony HTS and you should be good to go. Unfortunately your Sony HTS does not accept multiple HDMI inputs so we have to use the TV to play traffic cops sort of speak. Send me the model of your TV and lets go from there. Thanks, Mike.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
un32eh4003fx2a samsung
Expert:  TVGURU replied 2 years ago.
Great, here is your answer.

You will need an optical audio cable which is available anywhere they sell audio gear. You will need to run the optical cable from your TV optical output to your Sony HTS optical input. Leave your Roku connected to your TV via HDMI, do not change that. Leave your Sony HTS connected to your TV via HDMI. Once the optical cable is connected, you may need to change the source input on your Sony HTS to hear the Roku sound. I attached a quick diagram of the back of your TV and your Sony HTS so you know where you are plugging in the cables. If you need assistance selecting an optical cable let me know that too.

Your Sony HTS
Your TV

If there is anything further I can do to assist please let me know. Please leave immediate positive feedback so others know how helpful I have been. Bonuses are also greatly appreciated. Thank you again for using JA and have a great day. Michael, CT USA
TVGURU, Technician
Experience: 15+ yrs in Consumer Electronics, Telecommunications, Computer, Voice & Data Industry
Expert:  TVGURU replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for reviewing my answer. Is there anything further I can do to assist? If my service has met or exceeded your expectations please leave feedback. Thank you again for using our service.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there is no place for optical cable to be connected on my tv. I went to Wal-Mart and bought the cable it will connect to the receiver.
Expert:  TVGURU replied 2 years ago.
That's very strange, I just double checked your model and it says there should be 1 optical output. Can you confirm your model number? Or, take a picture of the back of your TV and send it along. Thank you, Mike.