Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a 46" Westinghouse flatscreen LD-4655VX that wont tu

I have a 46" Westinghouse flatscreen LD-4655VX that won't turn on. We purchased it about 5 months ago. I was watching a show while connected to my computer by an HDMI cable and when I paused the show on my laptop (I think, I didn't notice until later) the TV turned off (which I don't remember doing myself). Now we can't get it to turn back on. We've plugged it into other outlets, power surge strips, etc. and it's still not turning on. Suggestions?

p0llinate :

Hello, and welcome to justanswer, a pay site for expert technical help. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today. This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. When we are finished, you’ll rate my answer to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer. My goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_______________________

p0llinate :

Can you take a look at the front of the tv and tell me if you see any power/status lights on, either solid or flashing?

p0llinate :

Any brightness at all from the screen? Have you tried the power button on the tv itself, not just the remote?

p0llinate :

Have you disconnected the hdmi cable?

Customer:

No lights are on of any kind.

Customer:

There doesn't appear to be any brightness.

Customer:

We did disconnect all other cables.

p0llinate :

Thanks for the info.

p0llinate :

If you've already made sure the power cord is connected securely, checked other outlets, other items are working on the same outlet/circuit, then this unfortunately indicates a fault in the power supply of the tv.

p0llinate :

This is a significant fault, and there is not a simple reset to bring it back, it will require repair by a qualified tech, likely replacing the power supply.

p0llinate :

Luckily you should still be under warranty at 5 months, and westinghouse should cover most of the parts and labor cost here.

Customer:

Yeah the other outlets seems to be working. Unfortunately, the adapter doesn't have a light on it so I

Customer:

'm not sure if it's working.

Customer:

I decided to ask because I saw that other Westinghouse TVs had the same problem...

p0llinate :

It is a fairly common issue. Honestly, westinhouse tv's are notoriously poor quality, so this performance is not surprising.

p0llinate :

I'm sure they'll cover it under warranty, but the use of substandard parts means you'll probably be back in the same spot in the future.

Customer:

Is there a way to tell if the adapter is working? I just hate to ship an entire TV back if it's a problem with a cable...

p0llinate :

I can recommend a local shop for you, but for warranty service you'll need to call westinghouse directly to get authorization.

p0llinate :

Typically, there will be a local shop that can do the work, and for anything over 42 they'll usually do in home service (or at least the diagnostic, and take it in for you)

p0llinate :

If you have a multimeter you can test the power output.

Customer:

Never mind just answered my own question.

p0llinate :

But for something under warranty, I wouldn't open the case or mess with it in any way, you'll just end up voiding the warranty and costing yourself more overall.

Customer:

So you've seen this with other Westinghouse TVs? Where they just stop turning back on? I'm just reassuring myself that it's nothing I did. (besides buy a poor quality TV ha)

p0llinate :

I've seen this issue with all tv's really, if there is a defect in the power supply (either a manufacturing fault, or caused by a power event - shock/surge, under/over voltage, etc) this is going to happen, no matter what the tv.

p0llinate :

It's just more common in the westinghouse, polaroid, sanyo, olevia, coby, etc

p0llinate :

Unlikely to be anything you did.

Customer:

Alright. Well this is an unfortunate hassle! Thank you for your time, I appreciate it.

p0llinate :

You're welcome. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news today!

p0llinate :

But glad it happened now while you have some warranty coverage, instead of you being out a lot of $ a few months later.

Customer:

Definitely. Thank you!

p0llinate :

_______________________

p0llinate :

p0llinate :

p0llinate :

Have you disconnected the hdmi cable?</pCustomer:

No lights are on of any kind.</pCustomer:

There doesn't appear to be any brightness.</pCustomer:

We did disconnect all other cables.

p0llinate :

Thanks for the info.

p0llinate :

p0llinate :

p0llinate :

Luckily you should still be under warranty at 5 months, and westinghouse should cover most of the parts and labor cost here.</pCustomer:

Yeah the other outlets seems to be working. Unfortunately, the adapter doesn't have a light on it so I</pCustomer:

'm not sure if it's working.</pCustomer:

p0llinate :

p0llinate :

I'm sure they'll cover it under warranty, but the use of substandard parts means you'll probably be back in the same spot in the future.</pCustomer:

p0llinate :

p0llinate :

p0llinate :

If you have a multimeter you can test the power output.</pCustomer:

p0llinate :

But for something under warranty, I wouldn't open the case or mess with it in any way, you'll just end up voiding the warranty and costing yourself more overall.</pCustomer:

p0llinate :

p0llinate :

p0llinate :

Unlikely to be anything you did.</pCustomer:

p0llinate :

p0llinate :

But glad it happened now while you have some warranty coverage, instead of you being out a lot of $ a few months later.</pCustomer:

Definitely. Thank you!